PDA

View Full Version : Tape measure

John Wesley Williams
07-09-2007, 2:43 PM
I have a cheap one and don't like it - any point in buying a more expensive one and if so what kind do you all like?

John

Steven Wilson
07-09-2007, 2:51 PM
Tape measure's are really a personal choice. I have a 25' Stanley Max that I use around the house and it's good for those projects. For the shop I use a 12' Starret that I treat very kindly. I also spent a fair amount of time checking 12' Starret's against a good rule to find one that read true along it's length (there is variability in all tape measure's). For woodworking projects it's the only tape measure that I use which reduces errors associated with using multiple measurement sources.

Bill Spievak
07-09-2007, 3:08 PM
I have a 16 foot Stanley Fat Max for the shop. I have a FastCap when I need metric. The Fat Max is the same for the first 6 feet as my 6 foot folding rule which I have had for years.
Steven made a excellent point that you should remember, tapes are notorious for reading differently along their length and differently between two tapes of the exact same brand and model.
When I go to a client"s home to measure for built-ins I mark the tape I use with that client's name so I will be sure to use in as I build the project. If I use my folding rule it is less of a problem because that is my favorite measuring tool.

Bill Huber
07-09-2007, 3:32 PM
As has been stated the tapes vary from tape to tape, brand to brand.

What ever tape you go with that should be the only tape you use.
I have a 16 ft. Starrett that I use in the shop and that is the only one I use.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-09-2007, 3:42 PM
I like Kline. I have had a all metal Kline 12 footer for years and it's the shizz

Scott Lingle
07-09-2007, 3:43 PM
While it may be cheap (on sale now at 5.99) I got one of those 'flat back' tape measures at rockler. It stays flat on the board and the catch is well secured to the tape. I do check it pretty regularly against my steel rule just in case.

Scott

mark page
07-09-2007, 3:49 PM
I have a 16' Starrett and a 25 footer. Use them both depending upon circumstances. Love them both too. I believe that both of them have the digi readout, lest I know the 16' does, and have not used that feature. Somehow I just can't push myself to believe that accuracy. The batteries are probably dead anyways since I've had them both for 10+ years.

John Wesley Williams
07-09-2007, 3:50 PM
would a folding rule give more accurate measurements?

Mike Cutler
07-09-2007, 5:26 PM
would a folding rule give more accurate measurements?

No. Just as there are in inaccuracies in the markings on a tape measure, there can be inaccuracies in the marking on a folding rule just as easily.

If you're looking for accuracy, and not repeatability. I would suggest a Starrett 6' machine rule, or an equivalent. If your work is going to be on a smaller scale, Incra has a fine selection of rules out to 24", as does Starrett. If you need "hyper accuracy", or repeatability, it's going to cost $$$. These types of tools are not cheap.

To keep things in perspective though. Tage Frid used a 6' folding wooden ruler. Good enough for Tage, good enough for me. ;)

John M. Cioffi
07-09-2007, 5:36 PM
John,
All my shop tapes are Stanleys. I've compared them line for line & they all measure exactly the same, so I'm able to use different ones without any mis-measurements. The problem with this occurs when different brands are used together.
So far,my projects come out great!
Measure twice - cut once!!:)
John

Larry Fox
07-09-2007, 5:44 PM
I have several - none of them are accurate. I tend to use a 12" LeeValley cabinetmaker's rule. I have a 24" one as well. For longer stuff, I choose one tape measure and stick with it. Every tape measure I have - except one - has the words "NOT RELIABLE" written across them because I have dropped them and the tab got bent. :(

Joe Jensen
07-09-2007, 6:05 PM
Tape measure's are really a personal choice. I have a 25' Stanley Max that I use around the house and it's good for those projects. For the shop I use a 12' Starret that I treat very kindly. I also spent a fair amount of time checking 12' Starret's against a good rule to find one that read true along it's length (there is variability in all tape measure's). For woodworking projects it's the only tape measure that I use which reduces errors associated with using multiple measurement sources.

Steve, are the Starrett tapes really better? They don't really seem expensive. Are they really by Starrett, or just branded Starrett China stuff?. I'd be happy to spend $30 for an accurate tape...joe

Jim Fox
07-09-2007, 6:15 PM
I just have a standard 16' Stanley right now. I do estimates during the day an I love my 25' Kobalt with Stainless Steel Guts , but they changed their designs and the new ones look butt ugly. :mad: I also have a 300' Stanley for work, but that maybe overkill in this case. :p

Gary Keedwell
07-09-2007, 6:45 PM
Steve, are the Starrett tapes really better? They don't really seem expensive. Are they really by Starrett, or just branded Starrett China stuff?. I'd be happy to spend $30 for an accurate tape...joe
That is a very good question. About a year ago I collected all my tape measures. I had them suckers everywhere: garage, truck, wife's car, basement bulkhead, attic (yea, found one there) junk drawer in kitchen. I gathered them all and put them up to a starrett 3' rule. I only kept 3 and threw the rest out.:D
I sure would like a real certified tape measure at any $ price.
Gary K.

Bill Lantry
07-09-2007, 7:17 PM
Here's what I want: a nice flat back. Doesn't need to be 25' long. Marked out on one side in tenths, and on the other side in 16ths. Oh, and the surface needs to be writeable, so I can use it like a story stick. Is that really asking too much??? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Rob Wright
07-09-2007, 8:06 PM
Tenths and a flat back? Lufkin engineering tape would be the only one that I know that would have tenths and 16th's. We use them in road building. Flat back may be another situation.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=5669

I have been using the fastcap tapes lately. I buy them whenever they go on sale at woodcraft. Like that I can write on them, have a flat back, and they even have a tape that reads " backwards" to measure right to left and mark with your right hand.

$0.02 for free

_ Rob

Roy Harding
07-09-2007, 8:15 PM
I use a 16' Stanley for large work, and have 18", 12" and 6" steel rules for smaller work.

The trick is to use the SAME tool consistently - if it has inconsistencies (and most of the less expensive non-machinist tools do) those inconsistencies will be "consistent" so to speak - and therefore will not matter.

Roy

Brian Penning
07-09-2007, 9:02 PM
I find these Center Finder tapes from Lee valley pretty handy.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32558&cat=1,43513

glenn bradley
07-09-2007, 9:02 PM
Second vote for Flatback (about $6) but there's a short learning curve. Since it is flat there is nothing to keep the hook from riding up when you tug on it.

I use the Flatback but mostly a ProTape Centerpoint 16' for no reason I can explain. I just always seem to reach for it since my 20-odd year old Stanley is waiting on a rebuild. Once I'm getting down to details I use a set of metal rules; 6, 12, 18 and 24" with Lee Valleys little stop block do-jobber. Pretty handy little gizmo.

I always find myself wanting a tape that reads right to left for cabinetwork as I use a pencil in my right hand. Lee Valley has a 12' that seems like it would be good in the shop. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Scott Lingle
07-09-2007, 9:05 PM
The Fastcap is the one on sale at rockler.com now for 5.99, Only 16 ft, but it is flat easy to read and has the writable surface.

Now that you have Rob's .02 and mine, 5.95 to go :)

Scott

joe greiner
07-09-2007, 9:08 PM
While you're building/rebuilding your arsenal of tapes, consider adding the Stanley 33-115. Really pocket size, 10ft x 1/4in; conventional on the front, but the back has inch marks 3.14 inches apart (pi). Measures diameter directly by wrapping the circular piece, such as a tree, with the back facing out.

Joe

Bill Brady
07-09-2007, 10:13 PM
I would agree with everyone, it is a personal choice. I have FAT MAX, and Kobalt, but I never use them both on the same project. There is always a difference between manufacturers that will cause problems with the projects. Use what is comfortable for you and stick with it.

Tom Baker
07-09-2007, 10:22 PM
I find these Center Finder tapes from Lee valley pretty handy.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32558&cat=1,43513

I, too, find myself reaching for this tape for most projects...
I DO USE USE THE SAME TAPE FOR THE ENTIRE PROJECT!
Well, almost....:rolleyes:
If I don't, it has been a problem....

Steven Wilson
07-09-2007, 11:07 PM

I use a Starrett brand tape because I like the markings and the size was handy. I brought a 4' Starret rule (C40R-48 which was a gift from a friend) with me and searched through a couple of dozen tapes until I found a couple that were dead on over 4' and matched within 1/64" of my rule through the first 4 feet. I bought 3 tapes and still am using the first one (the others are stored away and are unused). At least every year I check the tape against the rule to make sure it is undamaged (no stretch). One of these days I'll replace the tape and pull another one out of my stash. I'm not saying that a Starrett tape is any better than another brand, it's just the markings and layout I prefer. Choose any tape you want but check to make sure that the tape you choose is accurate - they all vary and can vary a lot.

Matt Day
07-10-2007, 9:38 AM
My $.02: Just don't waste your money on the gimicky tapes you'll find at Lowes/HD; like the ones that lock the tape in new and different ways. Stick with the standard, tried and true, Stanley's (which include the FatMax).

jason lambert
07-10-2007, 10:11 AM
I also vote for the Fastcap I threw all my others out. With the built in pencil sharpner, which seemd useless when I bought it, I can not live without it now and the writable surface it is awesome. Also they are pretty durable and the price is right.

Whatever you get just use one tape measure on a project, don't switch back and forth and you will be fine. if itis alwas off by a 16th does it matter.

Paul Douglass
07-10-2007, 11:24 AM
I have a variety of tape and use them all. Some I found laying along the road. What I want is a tale measure that has one of those deals on it that chirps when you clap your hands. Maybe than I could keep track of one while I'm working! Oh, and put one of those chirpy things on my pencil also.. now where did it go???:(

Bill Huber
07-11-2007, 9:26 PM
I was at Loews last night and just happened to see the Komelon self locking tape.
It was cheap and I did like the look of the tape itself in that it is a flat look, not shinny like most. The big thing I liked was the self locking part, pull it out and it locks where you stop, then to retract it you have to push a button on the top which is position very well.

I checked it with my Starrett up to 8 feet and it was right with it all the way. So maybe I will be changing tapes, I just like the self locking part.

http://www.komelonusa.com/powertapes_selflock.html

How accurate are our tape measures?
Komelon USA Corporation tape measures are quality inspected throughout the manufacturing process to guarantee accuracy and workmanship. All tapes are accurately made to Federal specifications.

25' tape: Maximum of 1/32 inch variance for the full length of the tape when compared with a calibrated NIST tape.

Per Swenson
07-11-2007, 9:46 PM
Ok Disclaimer,

I use a 16' fat max.

But!

Check this out. It's a greenlee.

It's 12 bucks. Tape and hook on both sides.

Plus a bunch of other stuff. Like measured slow rewind.

No boo-boos.

Its growing on me.

Per

Keith Webster
07-11-2007, 9:51 PM
If you are wanting an all around tape....get the 25' or the 16' stanley max. I am a contractor and its the only one that keeps working. Some of my subs get those cheap ones and end up throwing them away. Just don't lay the max down anywhere.....it won't stay there long!!

haha...thanks Per

Bill Huber
07-11-2007, 9:52 PM
Ok Disclaimer,

I use a 16' fat max.

But!

Check this out. It's a greenlee.

It's 12 bucks. Tape and hook on both sides.

Plus a bunch of other stuff. Like measured slow rewind.

No boo-boos.

Its growing on me.

Per

Neat tape I would say, it is self locking or do you have to lock it?

Per Swenson
07-11-2007, 9:58 PM
Keith,

I am sure you meant subs.

Though SOB's steal tapes, their shortened life expectancy

excludes them from employment 'round here.

Per ;)

Per Swenson
07-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Bill,

Self locking.

Pull her out and....Oh I gotta stop.

Bill I really like this thing........but as Keith said,

on the job fat max and I haven't bounced this one off the head of a

SOB yet, to,you know, test its durability. :D

Per

Bill Huber
07-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Bill,

Self locking.

Pull her out and....Oh I gotta stop.

Bill I really like this thing........but as Keith said,

on the job fat max and I haven't bounced this one off the head of a

SOB yet, to,you know, test its durability. :D

Per

Thanks, I am not going to be bouncing it off any snobs...:D :D

I do like the measurements on both sides and the self locking is a great plus to me.