PDA

View Full Version : Need pointers on a template

Tom Cullen
07-09-2007, 2:01 PM
Hi all,
I have been working a template for dog tags and need a few pointers. The first thing I did was set up my dimensions for the dog tag and then made a copy to form a row. I then grouped the row and copied them down the page to fill the area. my problem is, what would be the easiest way to put text in the first tag and duplicate that across the board? I'm having trouble even cutting and pasting from one to the other. Could it be something to do with the way I created the template? I have tried ungrouping but that doesn't seem to help. is there a way to say "put this text in all the boxes selected" ? I have attached the CDR file.

Thanks in advance for the help

Tom

Pete Meacham
07-09-2007, 2:24 PM
Tom

Others may offer other advice - but this is what I would do.
1. Rotate template 90 degrees to have words lasered in landscape on tags (more natural and smoother movement for the laser head).
2. Type and place your text on the first tag
3. Duplicate that text and place the duplicate on the second tag on that row. Don't release the selection of the duplicated text
4. Do a "control" D to duplicate the text and it will go to the correct position on the third tag
5. Continue to Control D to finish out the row.
6. I would then select and group all the text on the first row and Control D
7. Place the duplicated row of text on the second row down
8. Control D until you have all the rows with the duplicated text
Pete

Mike Null
07-09-2007, 2:26 PM
Tom

If they are identical I would make one, group it, then duplicate it as many times as you need then space them as you desire.

If the text is different I would use Roy Brewer's tutorials on print merge.
http://www.engravingconcepts.com/

Pete Meacham
07-09-2007, 2:38 PM
Oh, sure if you want to do it the easy way - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Tom, follow Mike's advice, he is more experienced - and when I tried my method on your template I noticed that your last column is not the same distance from the other columns so the text being duplicated is sitting differently on the tags in the last column (90 degree turned from your original

Pete

Tom Cullen
07-09-2007, 4:05 PM
Thanks Pete and Mike,
I appreciate the advice , I was hoping there was a one shot move to do everything. Like maybe set one object up in the upper left of my work area ,populate it with my graphic and maybe text, then with a click or two have it duplicate across my work area ( in mass ):confused:

guess I will have to be happy with doing one object and then duplicating to form a row and from there duplicate the rows PHEW! I'm sweating already.

Thanks Guys
Tom

Mike Null
07-09-2007, 4:25 PM
Tom
What you're describing is print merge. Have a look at Roy's tutorial.

Todd Schwartz
07-09-2007, 5:33 PM
Tom,

Just did 500, two sided last week.

Created my template by using the transform feature. (was the t shirt design, an email to chewbarka and I had the actual outline)

Pasted in the outline in the upper right corner, copied it by transforming it -2 " (distance will vary by design) along the x axis, then copied the entire row down -2" in the y axis.

Once you cut the template out, make this layer view only, shut off the print and edit ability for this layer.

Once I got the final okay on the text, I started a new layer and I put the text in the same upper right outline, made sure it was exactly where I want it and then just copied the text -2" along the x axis and then the entire row down -2" until all of my outlines were filled.

Took me longer to describe it that to actually do it.

If this is clear as mud, let me know and I will try again :confused:.

Todd

Tom Cullen
07-09-2007, 5:45 PM
Checked out Roy's tutorial and it looks to be very useful but I also came across a feature in X3 that does exactly what I need , problem is I now need to buy X3 LOL!

To create and position multiple copies of an object

Select one or more objects.
Click Edit > Step and repeat.
In the Step and repeat docker, type a value in the Number of copies box.
In the Horizontal settings and Vertical settings areas, specify the settings you want.http://www.corel.com/img/content/products/cgsx3/tutorial2/duplicate_1.gif

Joe Pelonio
07-09-2007, 6:48 PM
At times like this it's really nice to have a good vinyl design/plotter program, a lot easier than X-3 for this kind of thing.

Bob Cole
07-10-2007, 2:10 AM
I am new to X3 and this business but read an article (July 2007) in the Engravers Journal about Imposition Layout Feature in X3.

I haven't used this yet and was curious if anyone else has and if it would work for what Tom is trying to do.

Mike Null
07-10-2007, 6:27 AM
Yes, and it's related to Roy Brewer's tutorial as well. You might take a look at that as I think it's easier to follow than the article.