PDA

View Full Version : Scored some wood (Palm trees) today.

Terry Quiram
01-16-2004, 8:11 PM
Who would believe that there are Palm trees growing in Peoria Illinois? AAA ball team Peoria Chiefs have a new ball field and the owner plants Palm trees in the spring. Last year they dug them up and tried to keep them through the winter, but most died. This year they didn't even try to save them. Enter Terry. I called the owner yesterday and told him I was a turner and would like a Palm tree. He said I could have all if I wanted them but he required a human interest article for the local paper. They have been getting some bad press because they let them die so now we show the general public they won't go to waste. I got 5 and my buddy got 5. There are 9 more to get. These things are so wet you can squeeze them and get sap to run out. Reminds me of a huge corn stalk. The largest is about 10" dia and all are 8' long. Gonna catch a porcupine to practice on.

Terry

Mark Stutz
01-16-2004, 9:08 PM
Terry, I don't know if all palm is the same or not, but what I have seen is very striking. The local Woodcraft has some and I've seen furniture made from it. I'm assuming it was KD but not sure. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Bob Reilly
01-17-2004, 8:21 PM
Who would believe that there are Palm trees growing in Peoria Illinois? AAA ball team Peoria Chiefs have a new ball field and the owner plants Palm trees in the spring. Last year they dug them up and tried to keep them through the winter, but most died. This year they didn't even try to save them. Enter Terry. I called the owner yesterday and told him I was a turner and would like a Palm tree. He said I could have all if I wanted them but he required a human interest article for the local paper. They have been getting some bad press because they let them die so now we show the general public they won't go to waste. I got 5 and my buddy got 5. There are 9 more to get. These things are so wet you can squeeze them and get sap to run out. Reminds me of a huge corn stalk. The largest is about 10" dia and all are 8' long. Gonna catch a porcupine to practice on.

Terry
Palms here usually go to the dump,nobody wants them,not even turners,unless they happen to be black palms.