PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid Spindle Sander Footprint

Rick Hubbard
07-09-2007, 7:10 AM
I'm going to add a Ridgid Spindle sander to my tool arsenal at the end of the month and, prior to it's arrival, I want to build a cabinet for it to livr on. Problem is, I can't find the measurements (footprint) for the thing on-line and HD no longer has it on dispaly (just a picture and some specs). If anyone has one of these would you be so kind as to supply me the dimensions?

Thanks a BUNCH!

Rick

Phil Harding
07-09-2007, 7:38 AM
17 deep x 20 1/4 wide x 13 1/2 tall.

Mitchell Andrus
07-09-2007, 8:12 AM
If you're talking about the one that converts to the 4x24 belt sander... Be sure to take the 2" idler roller out and lube it with heavy grease. It's just a bronze bushing and it'll wear out rather quickly otherwise. Been there, replaced that...

Great little machine, I'd buy it again.

Lou Ortiz
07-09-2007, 9:13 AM
Good tip on the 2" spindle, just picked one up for the project I'm working and it worked like a champ.

Phil Thien
07-09-2007, 9:19 AM
If you're talking about the one that converts to the 4x24 belt sander... Be sure to take the 2" idler roller out and lube it with heavy grease. It's just a bronze bushing and it'll wear out rather quickly otherwise. Been there, replaced that...

Great little machine, I'd buy it again.

Could you explain this a little more? I just recently acquired one of these and don't want to replace parts if I can do a little preventative maintenance.

Rick Hubbard
07-09-2007, 1:37 PM
17 deep x 20 1/4 wide x 13 1/2 tall.

Hey Thanks Phil! It will be "off to the shop after work tonight!

Rick

Mitchell Andrus
07-09-2007, 2:11 PM
Well.... there are two points of contact, the big drum that drives the belt, and the little drum that doesn't drive the belt. This little one is called an 'idler' because it's passive. No power.

Take it's shaft out and grease it.

Bill Huber
07-09-2007, 3:50 PM
Mitchell, I just checked mine which is just over a month old and it has ball bearings on that roller.
I guess they found they had a problem and changed it. I bet you could get a new roller with ball bearing in it for them.

The part number is 825542 and its called a Drum Idle

http://buy.ridgidparts.com/cgi-bin/etcTableNP?showTable=1&table=EB44240-Figure2&image=Wood

Mitchell Andrus
07-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Parts 11 & 12 in the illustration... Bushings. Mine wore out for lack of lube.

Thanks for the tip. I'll make a note for next time, see if the bearings retrofit.