PDA

View Full Version : Cutting board wood grain cutting surface question............

Mark Rios
07-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Some time ago I read an article that talked about using the different types of grain in a piece of wood for cutting board surfaces. I don't remember much about the article except that it dealt with the differences of using end grain, edge grain and face grain for the cutting surface. Does anyone have any information on this concept?

Aside from end grain, what are the pros and cons of using "edge grain" and "face grain" for the cutting surface?

Charles Bruno
07-09-2007, 1:33 AM
Some time ago I read an article that talked about using the different types of grain in a piece of wood for cutting board surfaces. I don't remember much about the article except that it dealt with the differences of using end grain, edge grain and face grain for the cutting surface. Does anyone have any information on this concept?

Aside from end grain, what are the pros and cons of using "edge grain" and "face grain" for the cutting surface?

Mark, on the wood works program David Marks made a cutting board and he used a straw broom to show the effects of cutting the end grain and a face or edge grain. He explained how the knife will cut the wood fibers if you use face grain layout. With the end grain layout the knife cuts between the wood fibers, his preferred layout. Do a search on DIYNET.COM/ woodworks and look for the show. I've seen cutting boards made end, edge and face grain layout.
Good luck.