PDA

View Full Version : Sheet good storage

Jeff Kerr
07-08-2007, 10:42 PM
I have somehow filled my shop with some sheet goods and hardwoods. I thought that I had enough storage on my plywood cart and shelves. I have putgrown them both.

The problem with my plywood storage was that it was storing the sheets on the long edge and taking up too much space. I decided to go vertical since I had the ceiling height.

I used what scraps I had lying around. I bascially constructed 2 walls from 2x4's. Bolted them to a reinforced plywood cart 24"x48" and then wrapped the walls in skins to help sturdy them. Since I had a sheet of pegboard not being used I thought this would be a good use on the one side.

Even though the cart is on casters it is fairly top heavy and I will not move it, but I can if I need to (Probably better to empty it first).

67645 67646

Next I decided to add some more shelf supports to the wall. Not my original plan, I saw it in a mag somewhere. These are 2x4's mounted to the wall with lag screws. The sections of pipe are just 1/2" pipe cut in 12" lengths. The holes are drilled at an angle so the pipes tip up just a bit. I think I drilled them at about 12 degrees or so. I didn't want to leave the tips exposed so I used a can of Plasti dip to coat them so that I wouldn't walk into them by accident. I drilled the holes on 6" increments just in case I ever wanted to adjust them.

67647 67648