PDA

View Full Version : How do you apply...and follow on maintenance

Joe Unni
07-08-2007, 7:48 PM
Hey all,

I'm just wrapping up my first set of dining chairs (pictures coming soon) and I'm curious about how you would apply the final step in my finish. I opted for a home brew version of the Maloof finishes and am now applying the oil/wax step. It is my understanding that if you 'rub until your fingers get hot you're doing it right'. Well I did that on my test piece and things looked great, but I was a bit concerned today when I began its application. Not having ever applied this finish, but fair expierience with finishing wax, I began to apply and found that it stayed quite wet - especially in the corners. So after applying to a back, rail and leg, I wiped off the excess and then moved on the next section of the chair. No complaints, but things seemed to not 'pop' or shine too much. The recipe suggests 1 or 2 coats and I'm just wondering if the next coat will do so.

Also given this finish, how can i tell (or provide to) my customers to care for their new chairs? Shall I give them a small container of wax/oil?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-joe

Joe Unni
07-10-2007, 9:15 PM
Anyone? Bueller...anyone?