PDA

View Full Version : Bosch PS20 or PS40?

Joe Jensen
07-08-2007, 6:07 PM
I like the idea of a small pocket size cordless for misc tasks around the house. Should I get the Bosch PS20 or PS40? The PS40 spins fast enough for drilling, but I wonder how it is for drilling as an impact driver? I already have a heavy duty Panasonic impact driver, so I don't really need a super powerful one. Is the PS20 powerful enough for driving short screws in wood? Neither have a clutch, how much dows that limit usage? I haven't driven screws without a clutch for almost 20 years. Is the PS40 too powerful without a clutch for delicate work?

Anyone own both?..joe

Mark Singer
07-08-2007, 7:49 PM
I have several Bosch drills....the 12 volt Panasonic is the best!

ttp://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-EY6405FQKW-12-Volt-Ni-Cad-Cordless/dp/B00006IIO9/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/103-6825199-3776615?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1183938643&sr=8-3

Don Bergren
07-08-2007, 8:49 PM
Get them both! Seriously, I bought the PS20 and liked it so well that I also bought the PS40. They replaced a Dewalt 9.6v drill/driver and my Makita 12v impact driver for all of my normal tasks with screws. For me the lighter weight is important enough to justify the expense.

The PS20 does a real good job with screws and does have a clutch. I originally thought it would be perfect for pocket screws (which it is) but soon found out that it was a great screw gun for many uses. I generally pre-drill and the PS20 handles 2 - 1/2" screws easily. It's a driver that will prove to be much more useful than one would imagine for a driver of that size.

The PS40 is a heck of an impact driver for its size. I've already found that 3" screws are no match for it. It's easy to control and fun to use. It does make more noise than my Makita as it impacts, but the light weight overrides that as far as I'm concerned. I haven't drilled with it but I see no reason why it wouldn't work well for drilling (I prefer corded for most drilling, and a Dewalt 9.6v for cordless drilling). As for delicate work, an impact driver isn't the best tool for pocket screws, etc., but once you get a "feel" for it you can do delicate work with them. I've driven pocket screws with my Makita 12v impact driver and had no problems.

Because you already have a big impact driver I would recommend starting with the PS20 to see how you like it. I think it will quickly become your favorite driver.

I still won't do away with my bigger guns, but I don't see myself turning to them any time soon. The two Bosch models are very good for me because they don't fatigue me when using them.