PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Wireless Broadband Update

Matt Meiser
07-08-2007, 2:30 PM
Several months ago I mentioned in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=47959&highlight=sprint) that we were swtiching from satellite broadband to Sprint Wireless Broadband. After a few months of using the new service, I'm really happy with it. We were having problems with dropped connections which would come back with a router reboot. Adding an outside antenna helped tremendiously with that, and since that time Sprint also turned on a new tower which gave us a somewhat better signal. Everything is now working consistently on a daily basis which is good since I'm using it all day every day for work. The speed test below is typical--not great for those with wired access, but considering the closest wire or fiber to me is several miles, I'm thrilled.

http://www.dslreports.com/im/33059329/5952.png]

Eddie Watkins
07-09-2007, 9:50 AM
Matt, thanks for the data. I have been thinking about going with AT&T wireless connection at about $60/month. I had Sprint come out and test for a signal about six months ago and if the technician stood at the very peak of my house and held the antenna as high as he could reach he could find the signal but it was not strong enough to use. I currently can connect at 26.4 kbps thru my phone line. Even with their "accelerator" it leaves much to be desired. I will have to check back into it and see if they are making any progress.

Eddie

Jim Becker
07-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Eddie, the "accelerator" doesn't really speed up the connection...it "caches" and "pre-loads" things to make it appear that you have a faster connection. But you don't. I'm not saying that the accelerator isn't useful as it really does help a little with throughput sometimes, but your bit rate isn't any fast with or without it working.

Matt, 'glad that the Sprint connection is working out for you!

Matt Meiser
07-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Eddie, you might check back with Sprint. They've been very active building, at least in this area. It wasn't an option here 6 months ago. 4 months ago we showed up on a sliver of coverage, and today the whole county pretty much has coverage.

They have an interactive coverage map that you can plug your address into.