PDA

View Full Version : Gloat, Possibly a Goat!!

John Bush
07-08-2007, 1:59 PM
Good morning,
I just bought a PM4224 from an estate and in my excitement I didn't look at the motor specs, and yes, it says 3phase. When unplugging it from the outlet it had a standard 220VAC single phase plug so I didn't inspect beyond that and when I was changing to a new plug to match my shop outlet it has the standard black/white hots and green ground. The "control" box beneath the motor has a "Delta VFD-B" with several control buttons and a digital screen, I assume, to indicate voltage, etc. Specs on the "control box" are 1.5 kw/2hp 230V 1ph. Logic tells me this is a phase converter and this unit is designed to use 220VAC and drive the 3phase motor. As I am accutely allergic to burning insulation smoke, I felt it was best to ask the experts here if this in fact accurate before I plug it in. Chernobyl wasn't that long ago and I would have a hard time living down the shame of blowing up a BRAND NEW, UNUSED, STILL HAS THE SHIPPING GREASE ON IT, PIMPED TO THE MAX, WAY MORE THAN I NEED, MUSTARD MONSTER. Thanks for your help, and please don't tell my wife!! John

Matt Meiser
07-08-2007, 2:02 PM
You've got a VFD or variable frequency drive. One of the things VFD's can do is convert 220VAC single phase to three phase. They can also give you things live reversability and variable speed. Sounds like a good gloat to me!

John Bush
07-08-2007, 2:09 PM
Thanks Matt,
I will give it a plug-in and spin!!

Paul Heely
07-08-2007, 2:24 PM
I'd say that's definitely a gloat.....

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2007, 2:29 PM
John ......I just got you PM. I think Matt is correct that the VFD is Variable Frequency Drive and one of the things it does is convert single phase 220 to 3 phase power for the motor. If you are in doubt and one of the things I'll try to do....go to the PM website and look to make sure but I'm betting 220 will power it correctly. Might help to look at the owner's manual to see it there is a setup for 220 and a different setup for 3-phase. If there is I'd take the time to check it first then plug it in but the odds are...you're good to go. I'd be a little conservative if it was me!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2007, 2:46 PM
John....If you go to the PM website ...You can register (I just did) and view the manuals for the 4224. I just did. It can be wired for 3-phase 220 BUT it requires removal of the pigtail and installation of 12-4 wire and the 12-4 is wired to specific points on the control board. If you have a regular pigtail, I suspect it's wired for 1-phase 220 vac and you should be good to go. Maybe some electricians will jump in here but 12-4 would have 5 wires IIRC.......

I think you have one nice gloat on your hands! Congrats!

John Bush
07-08-2007, 3:19 PM
Thanks Ken,
I did go for it and it purrrrrssss beautifully, Lewiston is not that far from Seattle, So if you are in the mood to give lessons...... Thanks for you help, John.

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2007, 3:28 PM
Great gloat John. Sounds to me like you are on your way. That should keep ya turning for some time to come.

Keith Burns
07-08-2007, 6:07 PM
A big Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Schlumpf
07-08-2007, 7:11 PM
Congrats on your new lathe John!!! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your turnings!