PDA

View Full Version : Latest spindle turning but no proof......

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Late last night I finished the 14th oak couch leg for my brother. The LOML flew out Friday to spend a month with her Mom. The camera Queen as she is known took all 4 cameras with her. No cameras left at home so I can prove. It was an interesting and learning experience. They came out surprising well and I only had to pitch one where I didn't pay attention to my initial setting of the overall diameter. It was a learning experience.

Curt Fuller
07-08-2007, 2:50 PM
Sounds to me like Ken need a designated shop camera. Because you know what they say, if there ain't no pictures it didn't happen.

Somehow I think I have to trust you on this though.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2007, 2:56 PM
Curt..........I'm letting the cat out of the bag a little early......This coming Christmas Eve Sharon and I celebrate our 39th wedding anniversary. While in Houston last week our youngest son and DIL dropped a bomb on us. They revealed what they are giving us for our 40th anniversary so we'd have time to plan it and make arrangements and get our passports. They are giving us a 10 day trip to New Zealand. :) I'm going to buy a serious digital SLR camera for that trip. In fact, I may call the wife and get her permission to buy it now. I have a dear friend on the south island of NZ who offered me a job there 4 years ago. I turned it down because I'm so close to retirement and the taxation there is horrendous. Wait 'till "Kenny Boy" hears where we are spending Christmas. I'm sure he'll buy the first round of adult beverages. :)

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2007, 3:24 PM
Congrats Ken. You need to get all your planning done now. It sure does make it easier. Sounds like a ball.

Steve Schlumpf
07-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Looking forward to seeing your spindle work once you get the camera back. I understand about being without - Friday I turned my first natural edge maple burl and when I went to take a picture of it I found that the camera no longer works. Will figure that out... Congrats on your up and coming trip! Sounds like you should make a lot of wonderful memories! Have fun and keep us informed please!

Steve Clardy
07-09-2007, 11:39 AM
:d :d :d ;) :d

Brian Brown
07-09-2007, 1:49 PM
Ken,

By all means get that camera early, so you have a chance to get throughly familiar with it before you go. There is nothing more frustrating that a once in a lifetime vacation, and not being able to figure out the camera while you are there. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Brian

John Gornall
07-09-2007, 2:07 PM
Different points of view can sometimes be useful.

I'm a professional photographer and if I'm traveling to work I'll take a couple of SLR bodies and a handfull of lenses. If I'm on vacation I'll take my 2 Canon SD600's, one in each pocket. These tiny pocket cameras make travel much easier and I believe I get a better set of trip pictures because they're always handy and ready to shoot. The image quality of these current pocket digital cameras is great. 3 pounds of SLR around your neck all day every day just isn't necessary any more. And in a place like South Island New Zealand there's so much to do I wouldn't want to be tied down. I've spent a number of years there - it's one of my favourite places on earth.

Frank Kobilsek
07-09-2007, 2:13 PM
Ken

Alot of good turning goes on in New Zealand. Do some homework and check it out. I'm sure we could muster up a plaque for the longest distance Creeker visit if you can put something like that together.

Married to you for 39 years is further proof of my belief that 'Woodturners wives are the best people in the world'

Frank

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2007, 2:52 PM
Ken

Married to you for 39 years is further proof of my belief that 'Woodturners wives are the best people in the world'

Frank

Frank.....That was pretty neat! You patted Sharon on the back.....cut my throat and further proved your theory in just one sentence!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Most turner's wives are, indeed, rare and forgiving individuals!

Barry Stratton
07-09-2007, 7:32 PM
You will have a wonderful time in New Zealand, Ken! Great food, friendly folks, and a beautiful country. I've been there three times hunting, longest trip was 5 weeks! The contrast in vegetation and terrain on the 2 main islands is also fascinating.

Bill Blasic
07-10-2007, 7:07 AM
Ken,
You will not go wrong with one of the digital slr's that are available today in the $600 price range. My Canon Rebel XT weighs 1 lb 10.5 ounces with the strap and the 18-55 lens. It has been trouble free and I have taken well over 10,000 pictures with it. Plus the fact they are slr cameras, you have the options for so many different lenses. For a once in a lifetime trip make sure you take tons of pictures.