PDA

View Full Version : Office chair finished

Kyle Stiefel
07-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Hello,
I finished the last piece of office furniture now. I had made the bookshelf and filing cabinet a few weeks ago.
I would like to say thanks to fellow 'creeker Mike Henderson for his input on the chair. The bow was cheated on by purchasing it from Matthew Burak's company at www.tablelegs.com (http://www.tablelegs.com). I plan on learning to steam bend but I figured this would give me an opportunity to have a very nice example to base it off. This was my first chair of the windsor type so it was just a matter of figuring out the spindle angles and so forth. The chair is of the african ribbon mahogany. As in the previous post I like the look of the wood but find it quite unstable. It is a danish oil finish followed by the good old tripoli and white diamond treatment.

Comments welcome.

Thanks,
Kyle

Roy Wall
07-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Beautifully done Kyle.....excellent!!

Mark Singer
07-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Kyle,
very nice work! You were smart to by the bow premade....it is not easy to do...Great work!

Paul Douglass
07-08-2007, 12:19 PM
That is a WOW! Nice job. That bow would be a challenge even for some experienced benders, have to bend in two different directions.

Mike Henderson
07-08-2007, 3:42 PM
Very nice. The chair really came out well.

Thanks for the mention, but I did very little other then offer encouragement. The work is all your own and you should be very proud of your accomplishment.

Mike

Jeffrey Makiel
07-08-2007, 8:24 PM
It appears to be a difficult project. Looks like it turned out really well. Nicely done.

Now you have to read War and Peace while sitting in that chair. Sorry, no more Marvel comic books. They don't go with that classy chair.

-Jeff :)

John Timberlake
07-09-2007, 9:12 AM
Great work. That will a very comfortable office chair.

Gail O'Rourke
07-09-2007, 9:38 AM
This is a gorgeous chair. I love the look and the swivel bottom is great. I made my office chair, also a windsor at ASWR a couple of years ago. It is the most comfortable in the house.

I also found the steam bending an awesome experience at the school - but haven't tried to duplicate it at my own shop. I just bought a table base kit from table legs and was impressed by the quality.

Nice work!

Peter Pedisich
07-09-2007, 9:46 AM
Kyle,

Great chair and pics, thanks for sharing.

Pete

Ken Werner
07-09-2007, 10:23 AM
That is a sweet looking chair. Very nice work. I like your idea about having an example from which to macke others too.

Ken