PDA

View Full Version : Dowling machine conversion

Rick Potter
07-08-2007, 2:50 AM
I have this old Mk. V Shopsmith which I use very little. I have been hanging on to it because I really like the horizontal drilling mode. It is great for dowels.

Is there available somewhere an adaptor that would allow me to drill the usual two dowel holes at the same time, like a stationary dowling machine?

This is probably a pipe dream, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Rick Potter

joe greiner
07-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Can't imagine any sort of "adaptor" that could drill two holes from a single chuck. Unless your production needs demand dedicated drills, a fence and a removable spacer block are likely best; sequential, not simultaneous. I've used a similar setup on a DP in medium high production, and it works quite well. Until I learn otherwise, the technique is probably still used after about 25 years (previous employer).

Joe

Bill Huber
07-08-2007, 11:03 AM
I am not sure they make one that would go on a Shopsmith but they make all kinds of adaptors that go on a drill press.

You can get multi-spindles with from 2 to 16 heads on them I know, I used one a long time ago where I worked and it had 16 bits in one head and we had 2 units side by side and would drill 32 holes at one time.

Do a Google search on Multi spindle heads and you will find a bunch.
Here is one that I just found in a few clicks.
http://www.multispindle-drill-heads.com/

Rick Potter
07-10-2007, 1:42 AM
I will be contacting them this week.

Rick P

Rick Lizek
07-10-2007, 7:50 AM
Simplest and cheapest solution is the spacer or rig up an indexing table. Those multi drill are going to cost as much as your shopsmith. Actually they start at $1,440 at that source.

Try the imports...only $482 plus the cost of the converion kit if it fits.
http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=820-781&CARTID=200707102120409057--1

Gary Curtis
07-10-2007, 3:06 PM
For about $650, you can buy the Hoffman Dual Dowel machine. It is a hand-held device and resembles a Biscuit Joiner or the Festool Domino-minus the fence.

I know that Sacramento Machinery (Calif) sells them. Made in Germany.

Gary Curtis

Rick Lizek
07-10-2007, 3:49 PM
For $335 you can buy the Grizzly G0540 doweling machine. By setting the stops you can slide the table over and get your two hole spacing. The big bonus is folks have been using it as a slot mortiser so it would be like 2 machines in one for a very low price. You could sell the Shopsmith and buy the G0540 and probably have money left over.