PDA

View Full Version : Electric-Start Edger??

Randy Meijer
07-07-2007, 8:35 PM
My next door neighbor is an 82 year old widow who still likes to do her own yard work. Recently her edger quit and a daughter bought her a new one. It has a larger engine than the old one and the valves are tighter and she can't get it started because of the higher compression. I help her out as much as possible; but she is a proud old cat and wants to do things for herself. Years ago I remember seeing a number of different gizmos that you could bolt on to a lawn mower to help people who no longer had the arm strength to pull the rope. Has anyone seen anything like that recently and does anyone make an electric start edger?? Buying an electric edger is a possibility; but since her gas edger is almost new we would prefer to use it if possible. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Peter Stahl
07-08-2007, 7:51 AM
I just bought a new edger for my wife that has a Honda engine. She likes to do the grass (I swear) and wanted something easier to start. If it's new and has been less than 30 days maybe they would take it back and you could look for one with electric start. Go to a couple of lawn mower dealers not the department stores or Big Box stores. They may be able to find you one with electric start or add it to the one you have.

Peter Stahl
07-08-2007, 8:17 AM
Randy,

Check this place out: http://www.jackssmallengines.com/electric_index.html

They sell kits, my snow blower has a 120V starter that it came with. You plug it in, hit a button and it starts it up. Looks like the kits are a little pricy too. Maybe if you contact Jacks they may know of someone with electric start edgers.

David G Baker
07-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Randy,
The weight added to the edger and the cost to add an electric start system may out weigh the cost of buying a new electric edger. Just a thought.

Jason Roehl
07-08-2007, 3:48 PM
I once had a dog break off in the cord pull of a chainsaw, so I took the whole starter rope assembly off and started it with an electric drill (with a hex to 3/8" adapter and a socket). It actually started pretty nice that way, as I could just spin it until it fired.

Randy Meijer
07-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Jason: I gave that alternative some serious thought; but ultimately decided it was not the best solution for an 82 year old great grandmother.

My thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. I did some more snooping on the Internet and spent some time talking to folks at several local mower shops. Seems like the only solution to the problem is an electric edger. The gas edger will be going to a new home with a grandson who is a fireman and is starting a yard maintenance business on his days off.