PDA

View Full Version : Short Tool Review, Minnie Gloat, and Forum Donations

Dave Morris
07-07-2007, 5:22 PM
Years ago a friend and I tore down a couple old houses for a guy, and our price was any of the old wood we wanted. We managed to save a lot of old growth redwood and fir out of those homes, and used that reclaimed wood on a lot of projects. But, I had to clean some of the wood that had quite a few hidden nails, tacks, staples, etc. I happened to have one of those heavy, clunky "beach comber" metal detectors, and although it was bulky, awkward, and (due to it's size) hard to pin down exactly where the nails were, it served it's purpose. Skip forward to the present time, and I'm getting back into woodworking. That old metal detector is long gone, but once again I'm cleaning up some old wood. A few days back, I found a nail the hard way and ruined a brand new blade on my bandsaw. Grrrrr!:mad:

Figured there had to be some advances in metal detectors for woodworkers, and searching brought up praise for the Lumber Wizard III. So I picked one up at the nearest Woodcraft (no, I didn't get it on sale, so I can't gloat on the price), and gave it a try this morning. I choose this Wizard over it's smaller Junior version because I wasn't impressed with the sensitivity of the Junior model they had for demonstrations, although it's lack of performance could have been due to low batteries.

The Wizard III is still relatively small at about 18" long and a couple/three inches wide, and only weighs 13 ounces. It runs on a single 9v battery, has visual, audio, and vibration signals when it passes over metal, as well as a jack to plug in ear phones. You have the option to turn off either the vibration or audible signals, if that is your choice. Sensitivity is pretty good, I tested it by looking for small pieces of drywall screws and brads that I cut up with wire cutters and placed under a piece of plywood. The Wizard picked them up easily, giving a very decent location pinpoint by traversing back and forth over the same spot while rotating the direction 90°.

It's already saved me twice this morning by finding two broken-off nail bits buried down in this old wood, and that could have easily cost me another blade. I expect it to pay for itself many times over the course of the next few years, saving virtually all the wood-cutting edges on my tools from contact with hidden metal.

So, the minnie gloat... I'm currently resawing useable boards from some old wine vat slats. These slats are about 4 feet long, 4-6 inches wide, and most are a couple/three inches thick, and I can get a nice straight board out of them about 1" to 1.25" thick, and from 30" to 48" long, depending on the curve of that particular slat. I assumed they were all old growth Redwood. Since they are all covered with wine stains, dirt, wax, and other crud, they all look the same on the outside, but some of these slats are a bit thinner, curved more, and felt quite a bit denser than the others. Hmmm, not redwood? I wonder if...

Yup, clean one of the dense ones up, and it turns out to be some really nice quarter-sawn oak. Not positive it's White Oak, as I've never used it before. I guess I'll have to ask my brother in the wine industry what type of oak was used in the old wine vats. Bummer I can only get a couple 24" x 4" x 3/4" usable pieces from each 48" curved slat I clean and resaw, since these *oak* slats are thinner than the *redwood* slats, but they should come in useful for a project down the road. Don't know how many I'll wind up with until the whole stack is done, but still, it's a nice bonus.

Finally, for those of you who have contributed to this forum, what is your method of donation? The wife doesn't like paypal, and to be honest, I've heard of paypal's private info being hacked. Is there an alternative to paypal? Personally, I'm kind of an old school guy, and like using either cash or checks, but I would use a credit card if others do that here as well.

Okay, lunch break is over, time to get back to making straight boards out of curved slats.

Randal Stevenson
07-07-2007, 5:49 PM
Look at the top of THIS page (any page pretty much), and click on the Donate button. Mail them a check and smile in the knowledge that the payback you get from this forum makes it WELL worth it.

Does your detector list what the thickest it sense through is?

Thanks

Don Bullock
07-07-2007, 7:03 PM
Look at the top of THIS page (any page pretty much), and click on the Donate button. Mail them a check and smile in the knowledge that the payback you get from this forum makes it WELL worth it...

Thas's exactly the way I donated. It was easy and painless. I definately get my $6 worth.

You can also be considered a contributer if you buy a hat or shirt.;)

Please Support SawMill Creek
Get your Member Account Status updated to Contributor By Purchasing any Item over $18.00.
See:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=53228
The polo shirts are great!!!

Dave Morris
07-07-2007, 9:10 PM
Randal--- Good, done and done. Check it is.

The Lumber Wizard III doesn't say how deep it penetrates the wood, so I tested it a couple times. It easily picked up a drywall screw laid on top of previously checked wood (to make sure it wasn't picking anything up first). Then I set a piece of 6" wide by 1-19/32" thick redwood on top of the screw, and it had no trouble picking that up. Tried the same thing with two 5/8" thick pieces of oak stacked one on top of each other, no signal. Okay, try one piece of oak, 5/8" thick... picked it up fine. Hmmm... maybe density of the wood has an effect on sensitivity? Same thing, one piece of 5/8" oak stacked on one piece of 1/4 plywood ... no problem picking up the screw. So maybe density has an effect after all. This oak is the hardest stuff I've ever ran over my jointer, feels even harder than the Hard Maple I used for the end vise jaws on my workbench. However, the knives are not really sharp (new ones on order so I can take this old set off and sharpen them), and that may be why this oak "feels" so tough on the jointer.

Either way, the Wizard will reach far enough into the wood to detect any metal you're likely to hit on the jointer or planer, given a rough and un-cleaned surface. On a fresh surface any nail hole will be much more visible, and then you could make a judgment call if the Wizard doesn't sound the alarm. Put it this way--- it's saved my jointer knives and bandsaw blades a couple more times since I posted the first message.

Don--- Funny, I don't wear hats very much anymore since I shaved my head (support for a friend fighting brain cancer), but a new polo shirt sounds like a great idea. A guy can never have enough shop shirts, eh?

Thanks for the info guys. Dunno how I missed that link above, even though I've played PM tag with Jim about this subject. (insert embarrassed red-face smiley here)