PDA

View Full Version : Worm drive for a lefty?

Jason White
07-07-2007, 4:36 PM
Getting ready to frame out a shed. I'm not a builder, just a woodworker/DIY-er/maniac.

I fried my PC sidewinder trying to cut some concrete blocks. Would like to replace with a worm-drive, but as you know they all have the blade on the "left" side of the saw (so right-handed folks can see the blade on the cut-line better).

My dream is to find a worm-drive with the blade on the "right" side. Anybody here ever seen one?

JW

Rob Will
07-07-2007, 5:07 PM
I'm left handed too and have owned a Milwaukee left blade worm saw for years. Not sure if anybody makes what you are looking for but be very sure you want to carry a worm drive saw around. As you know, they're heavy.

We rarely use our worm drive and feel that a conventional saw with a rear pivot is better all-around.

Having said that, you can't beat a worm drive for long heavy ripping.

Rob

Randal Stevenson
07-07-2007, 6:00 PM
My neighbor the other day use an OLD saw to cut some concrete blocks (pavers really), after that, I'd go rent a concrete saw if it was more then a couple of cuts. I have two worm drives, both are left bladed, although when I was a kid I thought I saw one right one from a company that is no longer in business.
One of my worm saws is the Bigfoot that is getting fitted for the EZ, the other was purchased from a friend of a friend who had cancer (stomach if I remember correctly) and wanted his tools to go to people who would use them. (his wife hated his tools and was planning a cheap and massive garage sale). I don't think there are anymore right bladed ones (not getting into the whole left handed left bladed, right handed right bladed argument here).

Go rent a concrete saw, or something like the Makita 5057kb and go out and feel out different circular saws before you buy one. My .002

John W Parker
07-07-2007, 6:33 PM
I am left handed . I have used a Skil worm drive for 30 years. I use it mostly for framing and rough stock cutting. I really don't have a problem seeing the cut. Take a look at one at the store. With the small nose on the gear box the view of the tip of the blade is fairly visable.

Pat Germain
07-07-2007, 7:59 PM
Are you dead-set on getting a worm gear saw? Personally, I never thought the worm gear saws were all they were cracked up to be, but I know many people like them.

I have a Porter Cable lefty framing saw. That thing is very powerful as well as lightweight. I built a large backyard shed with it years ago and it worked beautifully. I also used it to cut railroad ties. That saw just went through the ties like butter.

When I bought my PC saw, the lefty saws were readily available at any hardware store which carried PC tools. Since I like PC tools and the lefty versions were in stock at my local BORG, it was a no-brainer. I haven't regretted it.

Michael Schwartz
07-07-2007, 8:58 PM
My Hilti 267 is a Worm Drive and it has the blade on the right, but it is too nice to use for concrete :rolleyes: And lives on my EZ Powerbench.

If you are cutting concrete, just use some kind of a strait edge, and take 1/16" deep cuts. When you are bogging down your saw all you are doing is killing the brushes. The key to cutting masonry is just light cuts, and a beat up circularsaw.

Jason White
07-07-2007, 9:30 PM
That's the saw I just fried.

JW

Are you dead-set on getting a worm gear saw? Personally, I never thought the worm gear saws were all they were cracked up to be, but I know many people like them.

I have a Porter Cable lefty framing saw. That thing is very powerful as well as lightweight. I built a large backyard shed with it years ago and it worked beautifully. I also used it to cut railroad ties. That saw just went through the ties like butter.

When I bought my PC saw, the lefty saws were readily available at any hardware store which carried PC tools. Since I like PC tools and the lefty versions were in stock at my local BORG, it was a no-brainer. I haven't regretted it.

Pat Germain
07-08-2007, 9:48 AM
That's the saw I just fried.

JW

Well, never mind then. ;)

Jason White
07-08-2007, 4:34 PM
You're right though, the PC is a pretty great circ saw -- provided you don't use a cheap carborundum blade for cutting through 8" concrete blocks.

Funny thing -- I got it running again today. Blade musta jammed it. Wasn't on there all that tight.

I think I'd still prefer a worm, though. I've used both types and nothing slices through thick, wet PT like a worm!

JW

Well, never mind then. ;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-08-2007, 7:07 PM
I'm a south paw and I own a Skill Pro Wormy and I get along fine with it. It's only squirrelly when I'm cutting 2x10-s over my thigh while balancing on a single rafter. Two rafters is OK tho. .

dan moran
07-09-2007, 1:57 AM
IIRC ive seen both lefty and righty wormdrives (i wanna say both are skil) on sale at a sears hardware once. it was a couple of years ago though, so my memory could be fuzzy..