PDA

View Full Version : A little help please.

Michael Morgan
07-07-2007, 2:11 PM
I am sorry to say that I am not a turner. (Yet) As some as you know I saw, dry, and sell lumber. I don't like wasting anything wood related but I find myself giving away for firewood or burning with my slabs good pieces of wood that could be used for turning blanks. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some information on what you guys like to use and how to prepare it. Like what size blanks, what species, green or dry, sealed with what? Anchor seal? Green wood end sealer? and any other information you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. My only experiance in selling to turners is to a local guy that comes once a month and I sell him an entire tree sawn to about firewood lengths. I don't cut it down till the day before he comes. He then takes the pieces and keeps them in barrels of water till he is ready to use. He turns molds for glass making. Some of these molds are up to 22" diameter (thats a big hunk of wood on a lathe:eek: ) Thanks in advance. Mike

Bill Blasic
07-07-2007, 5:19 PM
Michael,
Where in western PA are you and what woods can you get? I'm located up in Erie.
Bill

Jude Kingery
07-07-2007, 5:31 PM
Hi Michael,

Usually I prefer my blanks cut from the log halved, then round to the largest diameter the log will allow, then ends wax sealed. Just regular old parrafin, cheap from the grocery store in the canning section. I melt it in a pot reserved for wax on the stove, paint it on with a paint brush and I'm good to go. That's how we cut them when we take down a tree, halve the trunks, branches if they're big, round, wax, put them in the bin and save the wood to turn. Then they can dry slowly, and ready to mount when you're ready to either rough turn or dry slowly for a year or so and finish turn all at once. Hope that's helpful! Jude

Michael Morgan
07-08-2007, 7:44 AM
Jude, Thanks for the information it is very helpful.

Bill, I am just outside Cranberry Twp. Pa. between there and Evans City. About 1.5 hours from Erie. I usually have cherry, walnut, red oak, white oak, all in different grades and thickness. I also have some basswood and a few other species.