PDA

View Full Version : Help finding sharpening article

Joel Ficke
07-07-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm trying to find a sharpening article published within the last ten years. This work compared various sharpening media (waterstones, scary sharp, diamond plates etc.) and empirically determined the best method by planing tiger maple; however, the uniqueness of it was that the authors showed scanning electron micrographs of the blade surface sharpened by the various methods.

I believe it was in FWW, but so far no luck finding it on their on-line index. Does anyone remember where it was published?

Gary Keedwell
07-07-2007, 1:10 PM
I remember that article......Seems to me that the author used a combination of methods to sharpen his. ( or her.....I think a woman wrote it?):o :)
Gary K.

Jamie Buxton
07-07-2007, 1:14 PM
This one? http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/index.html

Eddie Darby
07-07-2007, 1:19 PM
This is the issue:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/store/pages/fw_toc_157.asp

"SHARP AND SHARPER
by Aimé Fraser
Nine honing systems are put to the test"

This was a great article!!!

Gary Keedwell
07-07-2007, 1:39 PM
This is the issue:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/store/pages/fw_toc_157.asp

"SHARP AND SHARPER
by Aimé Fraser
Nine honing systems are put to the test"

This was a great article!!!
Your right Eddie...I just went down to my basement library (magazine racks) and retrieved it. I devoured that article. I used her system ( I even sent away for the diamond paste) for a few years before I bought my Tormek. I still use the diamond paste and maple method but I have been trying to wean myself completey off the waterstones.
Joel....Thanks for bringing it up.....it is a great refresher course.;)
Gary K.

Bill Wyko
07-07-2007, 2:15 PM
Your right Eddie...I just went down to my basement library (magazine racks) and retrieved it. I devoured that article. I used her system ( I even sent away for the diamond paste) for a few years before I bought my Tormek. I still use the diamond paste and maple method but I have been trying to wean myself completey off the waterstones.
Joel....Thanks for bringing it up.....it is a great refresher course.;)
Gary K.
Jusy curious, what do you like and dislike about your Tormek? I just bought the Jet system and it seems to work very well.

Gary Keedwell
07-07-2007, 2:39 PM
Jusy curious, what do you like and dislike about your Tormek? I just bought the Jet system and it seems to work very well.
Well, it seems to be alright. There was a time a few years ago that I was on some kind of mission to get the perfect edge on my tools. It really had nothing to do with the performance of said tools....I guess it was some kind of challenge issue. I would check the edges out with eye loupes and the whole nine yards.
To make a long story short.....I've gotten over that hump and just looking for a decent fast method for sharpening. The Tormek will do the job and if you don't look at the edge all that close...the tools will do the job just as good as a highly polished 12,000 grit diamond pasted polish. ;) IMNSHO

Gary K.

Joel Ficke
07-07-2007, 4:18 PM
Thanks Eddie -- that's the one. Must have looked at the spine on my FWW mag rack 20 times -- can't believe I missed it.

jonathan snyder
07-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Thats a good article, I had not read it. I have been thinking about trying diamond paste for final honing.

Jonathan