PDA

View Full Version : TS Zero Clearance insert?

Jay Yoder
07-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi all...was wondering who makes or where to buy the aluminum frame zero clearance insert that has the slide-in style wood insert...thanks for your assistance...

Wes Bischel
07-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Jay,

There was a thread a while back about these - I think the conclusion was that the company had stopped production for some reason, but was going to begin again - IIRC. Try a search of SMC to get the specifics.
If you are up to making one, Bruce Page has a plan posted here which I followed:

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/cadfiles/jigs.htm

2/3 down the page labeled Unisaw Insert. I am really happy with the results.

Wes

PS Thanks again Bruce!

John Durscher
07-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Lee Valley recently started carrying what you're looking for. They sell them with the phenolic (sp) inserts, but once you use that up, there is no reason you couldn't replace it with wood. Just do a search on their website for zero clearance and it will come up.

I just put one in my table saw and am very happy with it. I'll probably switch to wood inserts once the plastic one that came with it wears out.

John

Ronald Seto
07-07-2007, 1:06 PM
Woodcraft has one, but it has a phenolic kerf insert. I know the one you are looking for. It had a wood insert that slid into a dovetail cut into the aluminum frame. I don't know who makes it. I thought it may have been Bay City or Lee-Veritas. I couldn't find it in the Lee catalog, and I can't find the Bay City catalog.

Bert Barnes
07-09-2007, 5:35 PM
The ZCI you describe is made by Beterly. Trade name Tru Cut. Google it and you will find the manufacturer. Also go to Rockler's web site. They are curently having a close out on them at half price. At the orignal $80.00 i was not a customer. But at $40.00, mine will be here in a couple.

Happy Hunitng

Christof Grohs
07-09-2007, 7:06 PM
I have this system and am not too fond of the wooden inserts which never seem to sit flush straight from the package. Ok, not to talk you out of buying this but I highly recommend finding some scrap Corian. Then using your existing insert as a template, rough cut the corian with a bandsaw and final shape with a template bit in your router table. One sink cut-out can yeild 8-10 inserts. Tap 4 holes in each insert and insert small leveling screws and you have very nice stable inserts for much less $.

Jay Yoder
07-09-2007, 8:21 PM
interesting idea about the corion...where do you find the sink cut out pieces? just any place the sell the corion tops?

Christof Grohs
07-10-2007, 6:58 PM
interesting idea about the corion...where do you find the sink cut out pieces? just any place the sell the corion tops?

Blackmarket. I'm not a kitchen person but as far as I know Corian is installed only by certified installers who must never let the material out of their sight lest they be struck down by the Powers-That-Be (Dupont). I found a heap of it at an auction but if you call a local custom kitchen builder and tell them you want to make a few inserts from their cast-offs they will likely be happy to help you out or give you a contact of someone who will. It really is a great material for TS & BS inserts.