PDA

View Full Version : How best to protect mdf router table...

Matt Benton
07-07-2007, 10:45 AM
I am building a 1.5" thick router table top and was planning to use BLO to finish.

Would this be an acceptable finish to protect the top from warpage? Should I use multiple coats, and sand in between?

Thanks in advance!

Steve Clardy
07-07-2007, 11:20 AM
BLO will be fine.

I have one that is MDF, with no finish at all. It has survived for 7-8 years now with no warpage.

Matt Benton
07-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks, Steve.

I guess I'm more worried about sweating on it or spilling something. Also, I'd like the workpiece to slide along as easily as possible.

What about the multiple coats and sanding? I'm fairly new to finishing in general, as if you couldn't tell.

Steve Clardy
07-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks, Steve.

I guess I'm more worried about sweating on it or spilling something. Also, I'd like the workpiece to slide along as easily as possible.

What about the multiple coats and sanding? I'm fairly new to finishing in general, as if you couldn't tell.

Two coats with sanding between should be fine.:)

But MDF likes to suck up finish, so it might take three

Dan Larson
07-07-2007, 11:50 AM
I used multiple coats of BLO and a top coat of wax on my MDF router table top. Don't bother sanding... I don't think you will gain anything by doing it. It's plenty slippery... although I doubt it would give much protection to a water spill.

Dan

pat warner
07-07-2007, 1:59 PM
This one (http://www.patwarner.com/images/bdpwf.jpg) with GF tung/poly.

Tyler Purcell
07-07-2007, 2:08 PM
Paste wax is great on MDF.

Andrew Williams
07-07-2007, 3:04 PM
lots of Watco and wax, works fine so far.

Mike Heidrick
07-07-2007, 3:51 PM
I would laminate it.

glenn bradley
07-07-2007, 4:00 PM
As Dan and others stated; BLO and paste wax have yielded a great, inexpensive and renewable surface for me. I did manage a good pockmark once. Two part epoxy putty, a little sanding and a touchup and its good as new. Very quick repair if (or when) this sort of thing happenes.

Bert Johansen
07-07-2007, 5:07 PM
I agree with Mike. I used laminate over MDF and it is incredibly durable and easy to clean up. And spills won't bother it either.