PDA

View Full Version : Glueing two pieces of malamine

Scott Kuykendall
01-15-2004, 9:40 PM
I am building Norms router table and have a few sheets of malamine that stores use for displays, The material is 3/4 " thick and is much denser then regular malamine and I was wondering if I can glue two pieces together the make the top for the router table. What type of glue would I need to use to join both surfaces together since they have the slick surface ( plastic coating) on both sides.
Thanks Scott

Paul Kunkel
01-15-2004, 10:35 PM
Tightbond makes a Melamine glue. Also, what I use is RooGlue...not quite as messy and very strong. Both are white and runny but dry clear. Don't get either on your fingers, but if you do use hot soapy water and green kitchen scrub asap.

Jamie Buxton
01-16-2004, 1:25 PM
You're laminating two melamine-covered sheets of something, right? Conventional wood glues don't bond to melamine, but there are melamine glues out there. The trouble is that even if you make a strong bond between the melamine faces, the bond between the melamine and its substrate is not real strong. I have occasionally just peeled off chunks of it. I'd use the melamine glue, but also put some screws in it too. Use clearance holes through one sheet so that the screws really pull the two sheets together. Heck, if you can't easily find the glue, just the screws may do your job.

Mark Bachler
01-16-2004, 2:36 PM
Yep I agree Roo Glue will do.

Mark Singer
01-16-2004, 3:57 PM
I have used the Roo melamine glue. Also Liquid Nails works great!

Daniel Rabinovitz
01-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Scott
I purchased Melamine glue for both - Norms old router table and my own design table saw table.
Daniel
:cool:

Scott Kuykendall
01-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the info
Scott

Richard McComas
01-18-2004, 1:06 PM
I use contact cement for laminating large flat surfaces like that. Just use your ROS with 100 grit paper and go over the surface of the melamine and wipe off with lacquer thiner. Works well.

Here is an interesting thread on melamine glue over at the WoodWeb's professional woodworking forum you might find interesting.

http://www.woodweb.com/forum_fdse_files/adhesives/295694.html