PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Stopper Help

Pete Jordan
07-07-2007, 7:45 AM
I am going to make some bottle stoppers but they need to be cherry. Should I buy board lumber and cut it up or can you use green lumber? Also, do you know of a good place that sell blanks for the stoppers if that is the best route to go?

Thanx,
Pete

Chris Barton
07-07-2007, 8:16 AM
Good Morning Pete,

I use 1.5"x1.5" solid kiln dried stock for my toppers. green wood would work but, you do risk some considerable movement of the wood and possible splitting and checking. I usually use scraps from my flat work for these projects but, anyone that can sell you the sized of cherry you want could be a potential supplier. Get what is most cost effective.

David Beeler
07-07-2007, 8:54 AM
Try here for bottle stopper blanks/kits.

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Pete..........I've bought my bottle stopper blanks from CSUSA but I can't see any reason you couldn't buy 8/4 kiln dried and turn them from that.

dennis kranz
07-07-2007, 11:10 AM
I would buy the board lumber and cut it up. Figure what the per piece would be if you did it or if you ordered. They are fun to make so have fun.
Dennis

Ellen Benkin
07-07-2007, 12:53 PM
If you want a "standard" wood like cherry or oak or walnut, I think it's just as easy, and much cheaper, to buy a piece of wood and cut it up for bottle stoppers and/or pen blanks. I usually use scrap left over from other projects. I would not recommend using wood that has not been completely dried because you are likely to get checks and cracks as it dries.

Have fun!

keith zimmerman
07-07-2007, 9:04 PM
I would also buy some kiln-dried cherry for the stoppers. It will be stable and much easier to finish. I found some 8/4 cherry at Rockler a few months ago and used it to turn some popcorn bowls for a friend of mine. Stability and no worries about checking or warping.

keith

Frank Kobilsek
07-09-2007, 8:54 AM
Pete
David recomended Arizona Silhoutte for kits but check out the stabilized cherry burl stopper blanks. You'll get an outstanding finish on the stabilized material.

You are in Michigan right? Go to Johnsons Workbrench in Lansing. I pick-up a slab of birdeye cherry there back about 18 months ago. 15" wide 2+" thick that made 4 outstanding platters and had corners left over for stopper blanks.

Frank

Pete Jordan
07-09-2007, 9:51 AM
Thanks Frank!

I was planning on going there tomorrow. Next time you are passing though, stop by.

Pete