PDA

View Full Version : finishing techniques

Scott Rader
07-06-2007, 3:24 PM
Still relatively new to woodworking, but I have most of the tools and am confident with each.

I'm still a bit unsure, however, of finishing techniques.

I would appreciate any comments relative to this topic in general. Your finishing steps, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Randy Klein
07-06-2007, 4:02 PM
Wow, that's a rather open-ended question.

But there's really only 2 steps:
1. Prepare the surface for finish
2. Finish the surface

But realize that there is a huge world of options for each step.

Larry Fox
07-06-2007, 4:33 PM
Well, as Randy said this is a rather (I will add very) open-ended question.

That said, I will disagree with Randy's statement about there being two general steps - there are three actually.

1) Prepare the surface for finish (the tools/materials here are things like planes, scrapers, sandpaper, etc). This is probably the most important step.
2) Finish the surface. The tools/materials here are things like brushes, spray setups, sandpaper, shellac, laquer, paint, stain, etc.
3) Finish the finish. The tools / materials here are things like steel wool, rubbing compounds, waxes, very fine grit papers, etc.

I am certainly no expert but learning just as you are. That said, there are a couple of recomendations I can make that might get you started.

1) Buy some books and read up. Not so much on techniques as nomenclature. The finishing "art" is full of confusing, obscure, and often overloaded terms. Reading some books will help you organize things in your head. Anything from Jeff Jewitt is good, Bob Flexnor has a book. There is also a new book out by Teri Masaschi called Foolproof Wood Finishing. I have this book but really don't care for it. I only mention it here as it does have some recipes in it that might be interesting.
2) Start small. No matter how much you might like the look of it, don't try to follow a complicated (more than about three step) finishing schedule right off the bat as it will likely frustrate you to the point where you just give it up and put poly on every project you make. Not picking on poly here but mearly pointing out there are tons of options to explore.
3) Practice on scrap until you have it down pat. Once you have done that, do it again, and again if necessary. The extra time is worth it when faced with the prospect of going near a project you have spent a lot of time on with a can of stain (DAMKIKT).
4) Establish the finish you want BEFORE you design and build. The finish has a lot of bearing on things like wood choice, surface prep etc.
5) Plug into some of the finishing-specific forums and read, read, read. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions but, like with any forum, do a search first to make sure your question has not already been answered. The two that I can recommend are homesteadfinishing (Jeff Jewitt's site) and TargetCoatings (specific to Target's products but lots of good info there).
6) Be safe and protect yourself. Some of the finishes out there have some really nasty stuff in them so understand what you are using and how to protect yourself. Regardless of what product you are using, the bare minimum are gloves, respirator, eye protection, and skin covering. Even if you are just spraying water get into the pattern of doning your gear. Compromising is just not worth it.

Anyway, that got a little long-winded but those are my iniital thoughts.

Hope it helps . ..

L

Don Selke
07-06-2007, 4:38 PM
Hi Scott:
Good advise from Larry, and jump into the finishing forum here at the Creek and you will get all kinds of help.;) ;)

Art Mann
07-06-2007, 5:39 PM
I hope you are not expecting a complete answer to your question. There is no way you will get that from this, or any other, bulletin board. Many people have written thick books on the subject. I recommend you read up on it and then come back here with specific questions.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-06-2007, 8:09 PM
Do you want to start with the Linseed plant and the Lac bug or would you prefer to enter the issue a little further on in the process?

Get some BLO and some urethane and some Shellac and alcohol and google around a while reading up on the use and cut of shellac and how to apply and cure BLO and then have fun experimenting.

I'm a recent convert to water based urethanes. But the oil based ones are way far easier and more predictable.