PDA

View Full Version : I KNEW it was going a little too well...

Keith Cope
07-06-2007, 11:17 AM
I bought an old Oliver 2159 about 3-1/2 years ago--sans tool rest holder and tailstock. I watched the online auctions diligently and finally found a tool rest holder a few weeks ago (still looking for a tailstock...). About 2 weeks ago I got the 220v circuit in and powered the beast up. At last! I was ready to turn!

I've been putzing around a bit with various chunks of wood, just getting a feel for the tools (I'll probably take a class, but want to develop my very own bad habits first!), but haven't really completed a finished turning yet. But the immediate gratifcation center of my brain took control and I decided to leap in both feet first...

I had this idea in the back of my head for a long time. I had seen chunks of parallam--engineered lumber--and thought that it could be made into something pretty cool. After getting great inspiration from the many postings here and getting a couple of big chunks of parallam off-cuts from a buddy of mine, I set out to make something interesting with them. I decided on a simple pencil cup form--with a twist, of course. Not content to just keep things simple, I wanted to make an all end-grain segmented turning. So, I laid it out, cut it up, glued it together, glued a scrap on the bottom.

The glue was set, and the assembly was ready to spin this a.m., and so I mounted it on the lathe and got started. Got the outside round, albeit with a lot of tear-out, and went to work on the inside. I got the wall down to a nice even thickness along the full height and was taking one last pass to smooth it and....wham! :eek: The gouge caught and pieces flew! Surprising to me, I didn't soil my trousers having just experience my first nasty catch! The pictures tell the rest of the story.

I've decided that I'm learning from my 2-year-old--I may be a little too big for my britches here! :D

So my questions are: 1. Should I glue it back together and try to finish it up? and 2. How to deal with that nasty end grain and tear-out if so. or 3. Scrap the whole thing, put the training wheels back on the bike and start to work on some real wood and leave this stuff until later?

Thanks!
Keith

Keith Burns
07-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Keith, never give up on a piece until there is nothing left ! I'd glue it back together, using titebond, not ca, and give it a shot. Any glue joints should be well hidden with the material you've choosen.

TYLER WOOD
07-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Keith, never give up on a piece until there is nothing left ! I'd glue it back together, using titebond, not ca, and give it a shot. Any glue joints should be well hidden with the material you've choosen.

I have to disagree. I have worked with thies stuff, making some pens and a pencil cup. It does not take well to gluing back together with ca, epoxy, or fiberglass resin. There is not a lot of surface area touching because of the shape of the strands of wood. Plus the pieces are compressed together when first glued together to create the paralam. Once the glue bond breaks you have some expansion of the wood particles. It will not go back together good enought to stand up to turning. It just breaks off at a light cut along the glue line you just put in. I would not want it flying in my face a second time. normal wood, yes glue together, this stuff......NO!!!

Mike A. Smith
07-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Sorry about your blowup Keith. The pictures look like you were creating something really neat. The other guys will speak to whether this piece can be salvaged, but I definitely wouldn't scrap the idea!

Keith Cope
07-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys!

I have 2 huge chunks of the stuff left, so I'll definitely play with it some more! I think I want to try to salvage this one, but maybe a face shield is in order first!

Regarding the end grain/tearout, can I soak the stuff with CA prior to turning? Will that help prevent the problem?

Keith Burns
07-06-2007, 12:54 PM
I have to disagree. I have worked with thies stuff, making some pens and a pencil cup. It does not take well to gluing back together with ca, epoxy, or fiberglass resin. There is not a lot of surface area touching because of the shape of the strands of wood. Plus the pieces are compressed together when first glued together to create the paralam. Once the glue bond breaks you have some expansion of the wood particles. It will not go back together good enought to stand up to turning. It just breaks off at a light cut along the glue line you just put in. I would not want it flying in my face a second time. normal wood, yes glue together, this stuff......NO!!!

Thanks Tyler ! I've turned it as well but never had to try and glue it back together. Will remember this for future reference.

TYLER WOOD
07-06-2007, 1:46 PM
Yes, I had to start soaking the pen blanks in the stuff just to get it to stay in one piece. I have tries 7 pens and only got 4 to stay together. A little better than 50% noramlly would not make me keep trying. They are soooo spectacular looking though, so I just keep trying. They literally fly off the table when showing. Try making a pen and using red buffing compund on it. It will stain the wood slightly and look like a conglomerite rock that has been turned and polished. Nice effect!

Keith Cope
07-06-2007, 3:08 PM
Thanks Tyler, the red buffing compound tip sounds interesting, I'll have to give that a try. I did make a Woodcraft run and pick up a face shield and some CA for my continuing adventures!

Pat Salter
07-10-2007, 10:30 AM
My sugguestion might be going in a differant direction. It's many times difficult to know how to answer some questions just going by pictures and descriptions. I noticed that you are in the St. Louis area. According to the AAW website, there are two clubs in the area. I would encourage you to connect up with one of them and see if there isn't some mentor there who could help you out. Especially as a newbie.

ps. as for your tailstock, it may not have to be an Oliver. I have a Yates American and I'm using a tailstock and tool rest from a Delta.

John Shuk
07-10-2007, 1:01 PM
I gave a piece I found to a very experienced turner that I know. He has found it to be pretty challenging to deal with and has moved it to the back burner for now.

Keith Cope
07-10-2007, 1:38 PM
Actually, I managed to salvage it! Posted a pic of the finished piece on Sunday. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61247

Pat, thanks for the advice on the AAW; I attended the June meeting and have already learned a lot.