PDA

View Full Version : Target USL

Jim Sheen
07-06-2007, 8:28 AM
I've seen a lot of references to Target USL, and it seems to have a lot of advantages. I've used NCL a good bit and I like the ease of application and quality of finish, but not the solvents or chemical durability of the final finish. Maybe someone can answer a few questions about USL:

Can the clear be tinted? I've used TransTint in lacquer, shellac, water, alcohol, and like it a lot.

Is there flattener available for the clear?

Do you need to worry about blushing, and is there retarder available?

Are the USL colors (i.e. white) a good choice for book shelves or cabinets that would otherwise be painted? What kind of primer/sealer should be used on raw wood prior to spraying?

How many coats of USL color would typically be required and how durable (abrasion, chemical/alcohol resistant, etc?) is the finish?

Any other good/bad things to know about this stuff?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe Chritz
07-06-2007, 8:49 AM
I've seen a lot of references to Target USL, and it seems to have a lot of advantages. I've used NCL a good bit and I like the ease of application and quality of finish, but not the solvents or chemical durability of the final finish. Maybe someone can answer a few questions about USL:

Can the clear be tinted? I've used TransTint in lacquer, shellac, water, alcohol, and like it a lot.

Yes. Transtint, japan color or universal colorant all work well.

Is there flattener available for the clear?

Not sure but a call to homestead or Target would answer that one. I buy the satin almost exclusively for the most part.

Do you need to worry about blushing, and is there retarder available?

Never had an issue, even in 80+ temps. It flashes fast but still about twice as long as NC which helps with the blushing.

Are the USL colors (i.e. white) a good choice for book shelves or cabinets that would otherwise be painted? What kind of primer/sealer should be used on raw wood prior to spraying?

I have done tests with positive results. Several others here have used colors on projects with great results. Target doesn't offer colors direct but Homestead finishing does (or at least did). Without an oil stain you can use the USL as a sealer. I spray a coat of sealcoat (dewaxed shellac) over all stains then two coats USL.

How many coats of USL color would typically be required and how durable (abrasion, chemical/alcohol resistant, etc?) is the finish?

Above...I use two for almost all projects. On the Target website there are durability tests if I recall. Plenty for almost any project short of floors.

Any other good/bad things to know about this stuff?

It handles just like NC or pre-cat from the gun. A gallon is well worth the cost to try out. You will like it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe (who needed 10 characters after the quote...)

Russ Massery
07-06-2007, 9:01 AM
Jim, I'm no expert with USL but I have sprayed about 5 gallons over the last few years.But I'll share my knowledge. There is a retarder but plain water will do. Not aware of a flattener but it does come in flat. For most part it is self sealing. I used dewaxed shellac under all that I have done. I found 3 coats work best with USL. As for color I know for a fact that are own Jim Becker sprayed his kitchen cabinets with white with with excellent results. And yes it's tintable with Transtint. I have nothing but good things to say about it and highly recommend it. I got most of my info right from Target Coatings website they also have a users forum.

Jim Sheen
07-06-2007, 9:08 AM
Great - thanks for the info. I'll definititely give it a try.

Tim Sproul
07-06-2007, 1:21 PM
You can tint your own with water based acrlyic tints. Jeff Jewitt sells Vivitones water based tints. Tinting is different than toning....tinting gives you opaque (although not always) colors while toning gives you translucent colors. There is overlap since Vivitone can be purchased as transparent red oxide and transparent yellow oxide. I've used these to 'tone' rather than tint. Color the wood a bit cool....and then tone them to final color with transparent tint. The tint is more lightfast and provides better UV protection than what is normally used for toner - dye.

Jim Becker
07-07-2007, 9:15 PM
As to the colors, my entire kitchen is sprayed with Target's white (the older PSL formula) and it's still looking wonderful...applied in 2003, except for the island that was done in 2002.

Sam Shank
07-09-2007, 10:06 AM
If you call target and ask them about tinting it with color, they will tell you to use Golden Fuid Acrilic that you can get at any art store at about 12% ifI recall correctly. Any 100% acrylic will work.

Jim Sheen
07-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks, all. Great info. I've just ordered a little to give it a try.

Rob Diz
07-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Today or tomorrow I should get a gallon of tinted USL that I will be spraying on some bookshelves in 80 degrees plus humidity. I'll let you know how it turns out (both as to finish and as to blushing). It's a test run to decide if I will use the USL for the painted portions of my kitchen cabinet project. The carcasses will be sprayed with the clear USL - 5 gal pail is in the mail already.

I have sprayed two projects with the clear and really like the way it performs for a newbie to spraying. I sprayed on three coats, and on a very hot day, had a very slight amount of blushing on the third coat (that I rushed a bit). Both pieces are being used as nightstands, and so far both finishes are holding up quite well. I had some orange peel on one of the drawer faces, and was concerned that I would have to sand it down and repaint. As the product dried, the orange peel stretched out and is no longer noticeable. It's great to have a product cover my mistakes.

Jim Sheen
07-10-2007, 5:18 PM
Thanks, Rob. Look forward to hearing how it works for you!

Rob Diz
07-11-2007, 2:22 PM
Well, it looks like we may have to wait a few more days. I called Homestead yesterday and they have been swamped with orders. I should have the material by this weekend, but I'm having out of town company stay the weekend, so it may be tough to get away for a few hours to get this done. I will see if it arrives tomorrow, then I might be able to punch it out before it gets dark.

Rob Diz
07-16-2007, 10:31 PM
I had a chance to spray on the finish, and it went on ok. I didn't order enough USL, so I only had two coats on most of the bare ply. I also had an issue with my gun/air supply, so the application did not go on as well as I would have liked. those few areas where I put on three coats turned out well. Those areas with two coats had some high spots that needed to be knocked down with some 800 grit paper.

Next time I won't be in such a rush and will take my time to get everything set right.

John Hain
07-16-2007, 11:06 PM
For me, blushing has only occurred in high humidity conditions using USL. Heat, in of itself, did not cause it.......high humidity would do it everytime.