PDA

View Full Version : french doors - outside exposed door

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-06-2007, 6:54 AM
I have a request to build a set of french doors that''ll open onto a recreational deck with a southern exposure, open to full New Jersey all season weather (rain snow ice wind sun).

I may get killed by lack of header space or I may get by with a steel box beam header- it's a low roof.

As you know, french doors have a little issue at the closure. They haven't got a post against which to close.
I'm thinking Mahogany for it's stability and workability. Maybe a full 2" thick with side and top rails about 6" wide.

Any suggestions on the wood or construction?

And any suggestions for closure hardware?

Brian Hale
07-06-2007, 9:25 AM
If i was building a set for my house i'd choose Ipe finished with marine "teak" oil and stainless hardware throughout.

Brian :)

Nick Clayton
07-06-2007, 9:33 AM
Biran's gotya covered. The Ipe is as pretty at teak, sometimes more so in my opinion due to the grain pattern, just as durable, and a heck of a lot less expensive. Plus, if left to it's own device it will weather a beautiful grey or like Brian noted you can just treat it like teak with oil and bleach/re-oil as needed.

Greg Sznajdruk
07-06-2007, 9:41 AM
As far as closure see if the client would accept an astrigal. This would improve your closure issue.

Greg

Per Swenson
07-06-2007, 12:33 PM
My two lousy cents.

Ipe to darn heavy.

Mahogany would be better and take a better finish.

As for construction.... threaded rod as per Mr. Evans.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42498

Per

PS

Ipe ain't so hot on those cutters either.

Jim McCarty
07-06-2007, 6:26 PM
I'd use mahogany. As far as the closure issue goes, good luck. Outswinging french doors almost always are going to leak at some place or other. Try to use a small sheet metal "awning" at the top if you can. It doesn't have to be very conspicuous, just enough to keep rain off the tops of the doors. The doors will expand and contract and probably warp slightly as the weather changes, making your best weather stripping efforts very frustrating. Why not explain this to your client and see if they'd rather have a good sliding french door unit. There are a number of advantages to these (ie.: no swing room used up, screens, better weather stripping, etc.) Best of luck, let us know what you come up with.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-08-2007, 7:19 PM
I'm planning on painting it white, probably under an epoxy primer. ERGO: Mahog may be the thing. Thickness is an issue. I'm thinking that thicker is better and a double laminate of two layers ( 6/4 each or more) will help stabilize the doors against warping - - I am unsure about that tho.

Is there a difference in Honduran and genuine Mahog when it's stability that one wants?

Hardware is a bit of an issue - - - -

I have found a decorative Cremone maker
http://www.historichouseparts.com/detail.aspx?ID=7395
Not cheap at over $3-Gees a pop
And these guys who make Key operated locks
http://kfv.de./index.php?id=1&L=1
They aren't cheap either.

I can make my own glass panels and gas fill 'em myself.

Oh somebody mentioned "customer," the "customer" is my missus.

Has any one ever used a welded up box frame to double as the header? I know it'll do structurally if it's heavy enough but, as far as code is concerned - - - - -

Mark Singer
07-08-2007, 7:47 PM
Mahogany and Tightbond 2 or 3 for moisture. M & T ot large dowels

Joe Jensen
07-08-2007, 8:07 PM
There is a high end door guy in town. I saw a load of the "stock" he uses at the lumber dealer. Very cool stuff. The planks he orders from the supplier are lumber core centers with 1/4" thick veneer on top and bottom. The centers were 3/4" thick, 1 1/1" tall and glued up 8 boards wide like a butcher block. Then there was 1/4" thick veneer top and bottom. The way the planks look like solid wood but they are very stable and unlikely to warp. When I saw them I decided that if I ever build an entry door I'm doing that. His planks were mahogany...joe

Ben Grunow
07-08-2007, 9:22 PM
I have price building doors and a factory made, prehung door is always cheaper.

We use a company called Fontrick Door in Batavia NY and they are as nice as any millwork I have ever seen. Available in mahongany with screen/storm doors to match. They will even create shop drawings for you.

Not trying to take your fun but I have learned the hard way.

And for what its worth, the Marvin windows and doors that all the expensive houses have are all made of finger jointed pine (a true example of rich people buying things because they are expensive if you ask me)

Ben