PDA

View Full Version : Where does the lightswitch go? (long)

David Rose
03-02-2003, 3:01 AM
This hobby of woodworking is forcing me to do some more of it. My "reading room" is getting rather full. Of course I share this room with a shower and another appliance. :)

I want to fill a space that will allow me to have shelves 1 foot deep and 2 feet wide. These will run from floor to a height of 5 & 1/2'. At this point the wall makes a 45 following the roof line.

At present there is an old magazine rack in this location stacked to the ceiling of course. It is 1x2' with an area shaped into it where legs and knees need to go when sitting in one spot. This is a small room.

What I want to do is just use pine and build a simple set of shelves to replace the magazine table.

Spacing the shelves to fit my books and magazines, there will need to be clearance for the lightswitch cover of around 3" into the front edge of the shelf end panel. The switch cover is immediately below one shelf. I thought about just cutting around the cover, but that sounds pretty crude. I drew up some scallops around the edges and they look a little better, but being just below one shelf the top of the scallop will have to just "end" back 3" on the shelf. Is this clear?

Scallops carried out between each shelf would let me have the desired leg room between the bottom shelf and the next up.

The table gives me a place for an ashtray and coffee cup on the end. I was thinking of insetting the end a few inches between a couple of shelves for this too. Or if some end panel relief was cut deeply, that might handle that also.

This sounds like a really cobbled up mess as I write it. :( But I think something can be done here with more imagination than I have. Therefore I thought I'd throw this at my friends here. I can live with just something to contain the situation, so that is still a possible solution.

David

Dr. Zack Jennings
03-02-2003, 6:18 AM
Is that what your talking about...boy? Cuz, I've read this thing about 5 times and finally figured out the "appliance" yur talkin' about has a hole in the top and water in the bottom. Please currek me if I'm wrong.<p>
So, let me see now, you posted this thread at 2:01AM. Your sittin on the appliance thing, with a cigerette in one hand, a cup of coffee in the other hand, readin a magazine and starin' at this here light switch thingy.<p>
I'm thinkin to myself, right 'bout now, that this ole boy is plugged up. I think new shelves is a superficial issue but I'm going to try and play along.<p>

First off, I'm figurin that you are tryin' to do too many things at one time and your forgettin' why you sat down on the appliance in the first place.
Second thing, I'm figurin, to myself, this ole boy must be retired because he's obcessed with his readin room, not getting enough sleep and obviously don't have any time left over for a day job.
It would help if I knew whether this here bookcase design was Early American or Mission style. I really don't think a purist would approve of a scalloped edge on a mission style book case in the appliance shed.
Have you considered lookin' through yur stack of magazines for a nice "Shaker" inspired design? By the way boy, do you have your computer in there, too?
Have you considered movin' into a bigger house or addin indoor plumming to the one you've got? That's what I'd do. You could add a lean to onto the house, make it big enough to give you some knee room and put the dern light switch thingy on another wall.

I hope I didn't miss the mark here and that I've been able to help you cuz, Lord Knows, you are reachin' out into cyberspace for a sincere response to a heart felt dilema. I mean, here it is. Sunday Mornin', 2AM and you can't sleep. In the meantime, try a little prune juice. Works fur sum folks. I ain't never needed it, if you know what I mean.<p>
Please post a picture of the "lean to" when it's done. I'm real interested in how this deal works itself out.

Bart Leetch
03-02-2003, 11:48 AM
Dr. Zack

It must be mission style because he's really is on a mission.

Dave Crabbs
03-02-2003, 1:59 PM
Dr. Zack,

I'm thinkin to myself, right 'bout now, that this ole boy is plugged up. I think new shelves is a superficial issue but I'm going to try and play along.
After reading that I thought I was going to need to use my "appliance thing" or worst yet not get there in time :eek:
Dave

Tony Laros
03-02-2003, 2:07 PM
A serious question deserves a serious answer.

I'd hook up ceiling pullcord for a switch.

David Rose
03-02-2003, 2:28 PM
You got the appliance part. But I wasn't using it at the time. I think 5 hours of padding shellac had left my brain in a "state".

I would look through the magazine stack but since it turned vertical that is tough. Did you ever try to pull a magazine from the bottom of a wobbly stack 3 feet high? It could make for a long night.

B'lieve it or not the plumbing *is* indoors! Never saw an outhouse with a heater/vent/light switch. At least not in Arkansas.

I did compose this in the den though. It is a bigger room with no single hole appliance.

Thanks, I think... :(

David

Originally posted by Dr. Zack Jennings
Is that what your talking about...boy? Cuz, I've read this thing about 5 times and finally figured out the "appliance" yur talkin' about has a hole in the top and water in the bottom. Please currek me if I'm wrong.<p>
So, let me see now, you posted this thread at 2:01AM. Your sittin on the appliance thing, with a cigerette in one hand, a cup of coffee in the other hand, readin a magazine and starin' at this here light switch thingy.<p>
I'm thinkin to myself, right 'bout now, that this ole boy is plugged up. I think new shelves is a superficial issue but I'm going to try and play along.<p>

First off, I'm figurin that you are tryin' to do too many things at one time and your forgettin' why you sat down on the appliance in the first place.
Second thing, I'm figurin, to myself, this ole boy must be retired because he's obcessed with his readin room, not getting enough sleep and obviously don't have any time left over for a day job.
It would help if I knew whether this here bookcase design was Early American or Mission style. I really don't think a purist would approve of a scalloped edge on a mission style book case in the appliance shed.
Have you considered lookin' through yur stack of magazines for a nice "Shaker" inspired design? By the way boy, do you have your computer in there, too?
Have you considered movin' into a bigger house or addin indoor plumming to the one you've got? That's what I'd do. You could add a lean to onto the house, make it big enough to give you some knee room and put the dern light switch thingy on another wall.

I hope I didn't miss the mark here and that I've been able to help you cuz, Lord Knows, you are reachin' out into cyberspace for a sincere response to a heart felt dilema. I mean, here it is. Sunday Mornin', 2AM and you can't sleep. In the meantime, try a little prune juice. Works fur sum folks. I ain't never needed it, if you know what I mean.<p>
Please post a picture of the "lean to" when it's done. I'm real interested in how this deal works itself out.

David Rose
03-02-2003, 2:35 PM
How do you clear a light switch cover when something *has* to cover it? Technically, I really do have the stated dilemma, but it was too late as Doc Zack said. There is really no other choice for switch location and I don't want to go to that much trouble just for this.

David

Dr. Zack Jennings
03-02-2003, 3:46 PM
Are you making or planning to make a shelf unit with sides on it and then install it in this space?
Do you have a wall on both sides?
Can you use cleats and shelves and leave the wall and the switch exposed? [No sides on the unit.]

I've already had a sucessful day, if you know what I mean. Did you try the prune thing. My grandmother swore by it.

Good luck.

Zack

David Rose
03-02-2003, 4:28 PM
this is a wholesome, family site.:D

This goes into a corner with the light switch on the "short" wall next to the door. I had planned to build very simple shelves with sides and "set" it in place. But that may not be my best option. Any way that I draw it, to get the maximum shelf space the switch falls right below one shelf. There are 10 inches from the back wall to the edge of the plate. I was planning on shelves 12" deep since I have several large ring binders with "shop tips" and such. With back boards that would put me nearly 3" "into" the switch plate. Maybe I should just not go so deep on that shelf and the one above.

LOML has commissioned me to do a "couple" of more projects for her so I want to keep this pretty quick and dirty. <not talking "dirty" here though>

I'm not sure a light switch in an outhouse would pass inspection. However, I've never seen an inspector go into an outhouse, so if it isn't too unsafe...

David

Originally posted by Dr. Zack Jennings
Are you making or planning to make a shelf unit with sides on it and then install it in this space?
Do you have a wall on both sides?
Can you use cleats and shelves and leave the wall and the switch exposed? [No sides on the unit.]

I've already had a sucessful day, if you know what I mean. Did you try the prune thing. My grandmother swore by it.

Good luck.

Zack