PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat and few questions.

Rob Calkins
07-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Well I went and looked at the PM 60 and it ended up in my truck. It looked great and I have a few days to run it to make sure the motor is good.

Here are some photos.

Does anyone have a color match for Powermatic Green? I looked on OWWM and did not see an exact match.

Also now that I have the 8" is there any reason to keep my Jet 6"?

Thanks,
Rob

Scot Ferraro
07-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Hi Rob,

Nice score -- congrats. No need for the 6 inch in my opinion unless you just want to have two jointers....keep us posted after your test drive.

Scot

Michael Schwartz
07-06-2007, 1:47 AM
nice find :cool:
hope it cuts nicely.

It is nice to have a smaller 6 or 8 inch jointer alongiside a larger 12+ inch machine. Use the monster 16" jointer for face jointing and milling, and then the smaller one for cabinet work.

If you feel the powermatic is reliable, and it cuts better than the Jet, sell the jet and invest in a better cutterhead for the Powermatic, as you will very quickly find that the jet will become a storage place for tools.

Don Morris
07-06-2007, 2:31 AM
I heartily agree with the recommendation to sell the 6" and use the profit to purchase a Byrd head for the 8". When I made the move from 6" to 8", the size increase was very helpful, but I was really impressed with the cutting performance of the Byrd head. Yes go ahead and get a 12" too...LOL. Often wonder what one would look like in my small basement shop.

John Lucas
07-06-2007, 3:39 AM
for color match, take a piece to auto supply and have them match in in lacquer.