PDA

View Full Version : Detail carver

John DeWitt
07-05-2007, 9:49 PM
Hi my name is Tamera I am looking for a detail carver for my husband he started carving about 3 months ago. For just starting I think he does really well but I think that a detail carver would help him out alot. Could anyone please tell me what would be a good one to get also does anyone have one for sale? Thank you for any help you could give us.

John Schreiber
07-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Tamera,

Not sure quite what you are looking for. There are many fine makers of detail carving knives. I'd suggest going to Lee Valley Tools, they have a good selection. I can't recommend any specific ones because I make my own.

If you are looking for a rotary motorized carving system, there are many options. I haven't used them myself much. The Dremel name is very good, but even the best hand held models wear out out fairly quickly. The really good rotary carvers are shaft or air powered. I haven't used them at all, so again I'm no help to you.

Perhaps someone else on the Creek would know, but I would suggest asking at the Woodcarving Illustrated Forum (http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/index.php), they have a lot of rotary carving expertise there.