PDA

View Full Version : Tailstock trouble

Pete Jordan
07-05-2007, 8:36 PM
My tailstock will seems to be stuck. I can turn the handle but it just spins and it is hard to turn. Any ideas?

Kaptan J.W. Meek
07-05-2007, 9:10 PM
Need a little more info, my friend..:confused: What kinda lathe?.. My tail stock has (3) adjustment handles on it.. which one are we dealing with? The tail stock won't move up and down the bed? or the ram won't move back and forth? A picture would be nice as well...

Pete Jordan
07-05-2007, 9:45 PM
Need a little more info, my friend..:confused: What kinda lathe?.. My tail stock has (3) adjustment handles on it.. which one are we dealing with? The tail stock won't move up and down the bed? or the ram won't move back and forth? A picture would be nice as well...

Sorry about that.

PM3520B
The quill is stuck.

Steve Schlumpf
07-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Pete - not to insult you - did you check the setscrew on the tailstock handle?

Pete Jordan
07-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Pete - not to insult you - did you check the setscrew on the tailstock handle?

The quill turns but does not go forward or backward.

thanx

Travis Stinson
07-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Pete, are you saying the quill itself spins, or just the handwheel?

Pete Jordan
07-05-2007, 10:46 PM
The quill spins when I turn the handwheel. It is real hard to turn but it does turn.

Jay Drew
07-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Pete,
The only way the quill will spin is if the little bolt right next to it is unscrewed or broken off. There is a very deep groove in the quill so if that bolt is in place there is no way it can spin. Unless the quill extended out too far past the little bolt in which case line up the groove with the bolt and tap it a little with a soft mallet while you turn the handle.

Hope this helps.

Travis Stinson
07-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Pete, on my A model, there's a pin in the casting underneath the quill that rides in the slot on the bottom of the quill. Is that missing or backed out on yours?

Pete Jordan
07-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Pete, on my A model, there's a pin in the casting underneath the quill that rides in the slot on the bottom of the quill. Is that missing or backed out on yours?
I'll check in the morning.

Thanx!

Bernie Weishapl
07-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Pete looks to me like the pin that screws in to hold the quill is backed pretty far out. I had that happen on mine. Just a matter of screwing it down a couple of turns. Everything was fine.

Pete Jordan
07-06-2007, 5:28 PM
Thanks for your help! The set screw was missing.

Mark Pruitt
07-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Pete,
If the set screw you're referring to is the one at the rear side of the tailstock, the one on my 3520B has a jam nut to ensure that it stays properly positioned. If you had to replace this screw, just remember to buy a screw long enough to accomodate a jam nut.

This sounds like something that would happen to me. A Murphy's Law kind of thing for sure.:rolleyes:

Mark