PDA

View Full Version : JET 709519 MIDI Lathe Chuck, 2-Inch Jaws

Tim Brooks
07-05-2007, 7:54 PM
I'm looking to purchase a lathe chuck and have come across the JET 709519 MIDI Lathe Chuck, 2-Inch Jaws. I have the Jet 1014 VS Lathe and was wondering if this chuck will limit me when you consider the lathe's limitations. In other words, I don't want the chuck to limit what I can do any more than the lathe already does. Amazon has it with free shipping for $119.00. Can I do better on another cheaper option? What would the experienced among us recommend?:D

Robert McGowen
07-05-2007, 8:08 PM
I would wait and get one that did not have the bars to use to tighten up the chuck. I would get one with a key, similar to a very large drill press key, so that it is easy to mount a piece of wood in the chuck with one hand. I have had a Jet mini for a while, and with an extension, have turned some pretty sizeable/heavy pieces. Just my 2 cents.

Tim Brooks
07-05-2007, 8:18 PM
I would wait and get one that did not have the bars to use to tighten up the chuck. I would get one with a key, similar to a very large drill press key, so that it is easy to mount a piece of wood in the chuck with one hand. I have had a Jet mini for a while, and with an extension, have turned some pretty sizeable/heavy pieces. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the advice! That is why I come to all of you!

Which one would you recommend?

Travis Stinson
07-05-2007, 8:41 PM
The Nova G3 is tough to beat for a mini lathe chuck.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=900-2400

Tim Malyszko
07-05-2007, 9:52 PM
I'll second the Nova G3. I'm very new to turning, but the guys at our local Woodcraft walked me through all their chuck options and the G3 seemed like the best offering for the price. In addition, it can be reused if (more like when) I upgrade to a bigger lathe. It was easy to set up and securing the blank in the chuck is a breeze.

Bill Blasic
07-06-2007, 9:16 AM
The G3 is a very good choice, remember the jaws fit on all of the chucks. If you get one of the bigger chucks the jaws are all interchangeable except for the titan 3 hole jaws which only fit the titan. I believe the G3 is recommended for pieces up to 14" in diameter.

Dan Wasson
07-06-2007, 10:43 PM
I am new to turning as well, I have a Jet Mini lathe. Is the Nova G3 a better choice than the Barracuda chucks?

Gordon Seto
07-07-2007, 12:03 AM
The biggest advantage of Nova chuck is all their jaws would fit any of their chucks (except the Titan Powergrip jaw for Titan chuck) big, or small; old and new. It would save you money when you get another chuck of different sizes.
You can't go wrong with any of the major chuck brands like Oneway, Vicmarc and Nova. They all have their loyal customers.
I have so many Nova chucks and jaws; it doesn't make any economic sense for me to go into another brand.

Gordon