PDA

View Full Version : Retire the DW621 for a Festool OF1400EQ ?

Doug Shepard
07-05-2007, 6:34 PM
After about 15-20 years my Dewalt DW621 may be nearing the finish line. For a while now I've noticed a small crack that has recently gotten larger. It's in the external housing where the depth stop locking knob mounts. So that locking knob is getting harder to tighten to a point where the depth stop doesn't move and doing so really opens up that cracked portion. Haven't contacted DeWalt service to ask about this, but something tells me that this isn't going to be a cheap fix and likely would be more money than just getting a new DW621. It looks to me like you'd basically have to remove most of the router parts and reinstall them all in a new housing to get it fixed.
Then I had a router bit slip in the collet today which caused all sorts of chatter when it tried to cut more material than it should have. This is already a replacement collet. The first 1/4" collet got replaced about 8 years ago when it refused to no longer securely hold bits. So far no problems with the 1/2" collet.
Then there's the dust collection. The DW621 works OK but not great.
I could live with another DW621 - it's been a pretty good router, but the whole issue of dust collection got me looking at the Festool OF1400EQ. I'm not sure I like the handle but everything else looks good. But the DC is what's going to determine for me whether it's worth the price difference. Anybody used both a DW621 and Festool OF1400EQ? Is the dust collection that much ($200 or so) better?

Jason White
07-05-2007, 6:41 PM
You'll get a lot of good answers over at the Festool Owners Group...

JW

After about 15-20 years my Dewalt DW621 may be nearing the finish line. For a while now I've noticed a small crack that has recently gotten larger. It's in the external housing where the depth stop locking knob mounts. So that locking knob is getting harder to tighten to a point where the depth stop doesn't move and doing so really opens up that cracked portion. Haven't contacted DeWalt service to ask about this, but something tells me that this isn't going to be a cheap fix and likely would be more money than just getting a new DW621. It looks to me like you'd basically have to remove most of the router parts and reinstall them all in a new housing to get it fixed.
Then I had a router bit slip in the collet today which caused all sorts of chatter when it tried to cut more material than it should have. This is already a replacement collet. The first 1/4" collet got replaced about 8 years ago when it refused to no longer securely hold bits. So far no problems with the 1/2" collet.
Then there's the dust collection. The DW621 works OK but not great.
I could live with another DW621 - it's been a pretty good router, but the whole issue of dust collection got me looking at the Festool OF1400EQ. I'm not sure I like the handle but everything else looks good. But the DC is what's going to determine for me whether it's worth the price difference. Anybody used both a DW621 and Festool OF1400EQ? Is the dust collection that much ($200 or so) better?

Jim Becker
07-05-2007, 7:47 PM
I really do like my OF1400, Doug. I never owned the DW621, but have used one. I like the OF1400 better and it's very smooth in operation...something that the 621 has also been known for.

Brice Burrell
07-05-2007, 7:59 PM
Doug, I've only used a 621 once and not hooked up to a vac, so I can't compare the two. I do own the Festool OF1400. The dust collection is pretty good, better than any other router that I have seen. And don't worry about the handle, you'll get use to it very quickly. The 1400 is one refinded tool, you won't be disappointed.

Bill Wyko
07-05-2007, 8:31 PM
;) If you need a cheap fix for that crack, use an adhesive called PC-7 and let it cure for about 48 hrs. It's pretty strong stuff. The Festool stuff is top notch but it takes a mortgage to get a few pieces.:o ('ve been looking at the routers too.)

pat warner
07-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Ok to scrap & I would.
Replace with what? That's easy. (http://patwarner.com/dw621.html)

Scot Ferraro
07-06-2007, 12:14 AM
I am sure that the Festool router is awesome, but you got a good 15-20 years out of the 621 -- why not get another one? You already know how it works and feels which is a bonus...unless, of course, you want to get a different kind of router and would love to own a Festool. I love my 621 and I have never had an issue with the DC not working well.

Keep us posted with what you end of deciding.

Scot

john tomljenovic
07-06-2007, 9:24 AM
me looking at the Festool OF1400EQ. I'm not sure I like the handle but everything else looks good.

I thought I would not like the handle at first but I found out otherwise after using it. makes it much easier for one handed operation. I am not sure whether dust collection is better but festool does include a plug in shroud into the bottom of the baseplate that does an excellent job when template routing. But for $200 more you get....

A smoother plunge action.
controls that are more ergo dynamic
the ratcheting collet, (worth it right there)
very cool and plentiful accessories available. (like guide rails and hole jigs)

the 621 although pretty good is also a design pushing 30 years, new ideas have occurred since and I am more progress guy than retro-grouch.

Festool does have a 30 day no questions return policy if you don't like it. making it a pretty risk free trial/purchase.

Doug Shepard
07-06-2007, 6:23 PM
Well I took Jason's advise and searched through the F.O.G. posts and read a few things from owners of both the DW621 and 1400. Contacted one of them and got a lot more input on the DC questions. So, although my card winced a bit I just placed an order with Uncle Bob. Also had to order a new mounting bar from MicroFence so I can use the 1400 with their edge guide and circle jig, but that was less than buying Festools edge guide, so I guess I'm ahead there. Thanks for the input y'all.

Doug Shepard
07-13-2007, 4:43 PM
Well the Festool got here Wednesday and got put to use today (no pics yet though). I LOVE the dust collection on this thing. It's way better than the DW621. I've not run the vac at all to clean up after routing. Everything has been sucked up during routing. Seemed like I always had to do after-routing vacuuming with the DW621. My only complaint is you'd think they'd include some peel-n-stick scale for use in the US so that the depth gauge readings weren't in metric but I suppose I can get used to that. Still getting used to the handle somewhat, but it feels pretty good and not as strange as I thought it might be.

Jason White
07-13-2007, 7:03 PM
Am thinking about getting this one. Have you tried with the guide rail yet? Let us know what you think of it for dadoes, etc.

JW

Well the Festool got here Wednesday and got put to use today (no pics yet though). I LOVE the dust collection on this thing. It's way better than the DW621. I've not run the vac at all to clean up after routing. Everything has been sucked up during routing. Seemed like I always had to do after-routing vacuuming with the DW621. My only complaint is you'd think they'd include some peel-n-stick scale for use in the US so that the depth gauge readings weren't in metric but I suppose I can get used to that. Still getting used to the handle somewhat, but it feels pretty good and not as strange as I thought it might be.

Dan Clark
07-13-2007, 8:46 PM

Doug,

For me, the issue of metric is an irritant. But not the way you think.

I'm not bothered by metric, but not intimidated either. After I started buying Festools and working with Metric all the time, I started getting irritated at Imperial.

For example, a Festool rail is 5mm or about 3/16" thick . 3/4" ply is about 19mm thick. So to determine the total thickness from you just add 5mm + 19mm. Or 3/4" + 3/16"! Uh, let's see... Carry the naught... :cool:

Metric is MUCH easier when you get used to it. I'm using a mix, but I'm thinking of switching completely to metric.

Dan.

Bob Michaels
07-13-2007, 9:06 PM
I gotta agree with Doug. I have often wondered why Festool doesn't just offer Imperial stickers for those who really don't want to mix Metric and Imperial. I bet they would sell more routers in the U.S. if they did it. After all, the damn router is somewhat modified anyway for sale in the U.S. Some of us actually get offended with such arrogance, and I'm a die-hard Festool fan with probably 9 or 10 of their tools in my shop. I made my own Imperial scale using blank Dymo label-maker tape and scoring off increments, but, ya know what, I shouldn't have to. Yeah, I'll still buy Festool, but I'll be po'd every time I need to think in metric. As the saying goes, when in France do as the French do. Well, when in America do as the Americans do. Sounds like that would be good business sense to me.

Doug Shepard
07-13-2007, 9:08 PM
Am thinking about getting this one. Have you tried with the guide rail yet? Let us know what you think of it for dadoes, etc.

JW

For now, I didn't get any of the rails. I've got the MicroFence edge guide so I'm pretty well covered if I need dados parallel to an edge. Might think about getting some of the rails later though. So far it's just gotten pattern routing use and a couple of spins making templates using the MF circle jig.

Don Bullock
07-13-2007, 9:56 PM

Doug, congratulations on your new Festool. I appreciate the critique. I'm just starting to get into the idea of hookind a vacuum up to a tool to cut down on all the "mess.";) :D