PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom storage project completed

Alan Tolchinsky
07-05-2007, 6:23 PM
Hi All, First thanks to all who answered questions concerning this project. I used a hollow area in our guest bathroom to get about 15"x20" x 7' of storage. I removed the drywall to gain access and built two plywood boxes to fit the space. I thought one big box would be too hard to deal with.

Poplar was used for the pocket screwed face frame. I used melamine for the shelves and banded the fronts with an iron. I used my nail gun extensively for building the boxes and attaching the face frame, and the door moldings. These were my first inset doors and I like the clean look.
The small single door is in the master bath which communicates with the double door area in the guest bath. This way we have access to the storage from our bath too. Thanks for looking. Alan

frank shic
07-05-2007, 6:27 PM
very nice job, alan! how long did it take you to fit the inset doors?

Steve Clardy
07-05-2007, 6:40 PM
Nice job Alan !!!

Charles Jackson III
07-05-2007, 7:29 PM
Very nice work.

Jim Becker
07-05-2007, 7:43 PM
Good work, Alan...and a great way to utilize the space!

Alan Tolchinsky
07-05-2007, 8:12 PM
very nice job, alan! how long did it take you to fit the inset doors?

Thanks Frank, Fitting the doors went pretty fast. I made them about 1/16" smaller and used a jointer to get the fit close. Then I just block planed the rest to fit with the hinges installed.

David Genrich
07-06-2007, 2:22 PM
This may be a dumb question, but how did you know the area was empty, and not filled with pipes or electrical wiring? I am guessing that you guessed it was empty, cut a hole and looked around?

Thanks,
David Genrich

Alan Tolchinsky
07-06-2007, 6:30 PM
No, that's not a dumb question at all. I saw the identicle house with a storage in that location. But I still made a "peep hole" in the wall behind a picture to check the area to be sure. And yes it was empty except for some Romex that I moved. I also installed an outlet in the master bathroom from a circuit from the guest bath when I had it all opened. It was too easy to pass up.

Alan Tolchinsky
07-06-2007, 6:31 PM
Thanks guys for all the kind words. :) Now if I can just get my shop put together I can do some "real" woodworking. On to the electrical.