PDA

View Full Version : AWFS. A gloat of the first order!

Nancy Laird
07-05-2007, 5:47 PM
As some of you might know, LOML and I will be in Las Vegas for the AWFS show in the Woodworker's Supply booth (#10168). I've held off on posting this until now because it was still up in the air until a few days ago, BUT....

I have been tapped to do the demonstration of the midi-lathe at the show!! I'll be in the booth, turning pens and maybe even a small cherry bowl and possibly one other item (I'm taking a piece of maple with me too).

I've been turning only since late last summer, but apparently someone decided that my skills are sufficient that I can demonstrate. I'm honored, but I'm also terrified, because there will be attendees from all over the world and I'll be standing there shaking in my boots while wielding a turning tool. Wish me luck!!!!

Nancy

Bonnie Campbell
07-05-2007, 6:10 PM
Best of luck Nancy, but we know you'll do a great job of it :)

Patrick Taylor
07-05-2007, 6:19 PM
Knock 'em dead and make 'em drool on your awesome pens. :)

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2007, 6:23 PM
Congrats Nancy. You will do fine. Let us know how it goes.

Robert McGowen
07-05-2007, 7:17 PM
You only need luck if you don't have the skill, and you got the skill, so just show 'em.

Jim Becker
07-05-2007, 7:36 PM
Definitely not something to just "leave in Vegas"... :D :D :D

(Congrats!)

Bill Grumbine
07-05-2007, 8:00 PM
Congratulations Nancy! I had been turning for just a little over two years when I got my first big breaks. Within a very short time I was hired by Woodcraft as an instructor, I was hired to turn all the small turning projects for the Penn State Industries Catalog that year (these two occurred on the same day!), and I began my demonstrating career - all because I had learned to turn pens.

The length of time you have been doing something is not always related to how well you do it. Obviously someone thinks you do it well enough to represent them in a very big show. I hope it all goes well for you, and who knows but we might see you in a video someday! ;)

Bill

Bill Wyko
07-05-2007, 8:00 PM
It's been said that it's better to be lucky than good. You're already good, so good luck.:)

Keith Burns
07-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Nancy, you'll do great !! Remember I do have one of your pens so I do know you have the skill. Remember that you KNOW what you are doing and the majority of the people watching won't, so you are in charge of the show !! Be sure and let us know how it went.

Cottonwood soon..........................

Richard Madison
07-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Good luck Nancy! You will stop "shaking in your boots" the instant you start turning, if not long before. It will be all good.

Gil Jones
07-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Good luck!!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Break a leg Nancy! ............And congrats!

Bruce Page
07-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Very cool Nancy! Knock 'em dead!!

Tony De Masi
07-06-2007, 6:53 AM
Congrats Nancy....they obviously know you have the skills so go show them what they already know..

Tony

Wayne Bitting
07-06-2007, 7:32 AM
Congrats and don't forget to enjoy yourself! And of course bring back pics!!!

Steve Schlumpf
07-06-2007, 8:23 AM
WOW!!! Congrats Nancy! Looking forward to the pictures! You'll do great at the demo - no reason to worry - it's just turning! Have fun with it!

Frank Kobilsek
07-06-2007, 9:01 AM
Nancy

I will be working show also, not turning, working. My habit has been to hang out with Nick Cook in the Powermatic display when I can get away from my duties but this time I'll just have to come meet you.

Shows are the worst part of my job. Feet and knees hurt, set-up is outraggously expensive and frustrating, the boss thinks of things I should have done the day the show opens, the salesmen whine about little things they should have done themselves but expect that I should have known they would forget. Hiding out around the demo turners maintains my will to live.

Frank

Gary Herrmann
07-06-2007, 9:23 AM
Congratulations Nancy. You must be very proud. To follow up on what Frank said, make sure you bring a nice thick mat to give your back and knees a break.