PDA

View Full Version : Dead Delta Disk Sander

Frank Kobilsek
07-05-2007, 5:31 PM
I need help.

Yesterday I flipped on my 12" Delta Disk sander and nothing happened. Did all the simple checks, power to the outlet, blew the dust off with no results. Anybody have any advice to offer? I am on a dead line for a project and this tool would be helpful. Thanks.

Frank

(usually on the turning forum)

John Shuk
07-05-2007, 9:05 PM
You could try to turn it on and give the disc a push to get started. Just a thought. Sometimes works for other things that spin.
You also might want to make sure that a thermal overload wasn't tripped.

Matt Meiser
07-05-2007, 9:27 PM
The first thing I'd do is pull apart the switch and use a meter to check that the cord doesn't have a break (power to the switch) and that the switch is working (power past the switch.) If that checks out, the motor probably needs some sort of service.

I assume you didn't let the magic smoke out since you didn't mention it?

Leo Graywacz
07-05-2007, 9:48 PM
I assume you didn't let the magic smoke out since you didn't mention it?

:rolleyes: :D

Bill Huber
07-05-2007, 10:00 PM
I think Matt nailed it, just do the normal trouble shooting cord, switch and the motor. It could just need the brushes cleaned or replaced.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Just a thought--check the switch for dust buildup. Might help to blow it out gently.

Michael Schwartz
07-05-2007, 10:24 PM
It would also be a good Idea to make sure it isn't the outlet it is plugged into, or that a breaker hasn't been tripped :rolleyes:

Doug Shepard
07-06-2007, 7:24 AM
Can you rotate the disc by hand? Sometimes a table slipped too close to the wheel or something jammed in between can cause the wheel to hang up. It's usually not enough to stop it turning in operation but wont let it start up again once it's stopped.

Nick Clayton
07-06-2007, 9:37 AM
Replace the brushes after you check the cord; they are a great place to start and are cheap to boot.

Frank Kobilsek
07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks Guys I'll get after it this weekend

Frank

Pete Bradley
07-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Replace the brushes after you check the cord; they are a great place to start and are cheap to boot.
This motor almost certainly doesn't have brushes.

Pete

Jim Thiel
07-06-2007, 4:41 PM
I need help.

I am on a dead line for a project and this tool would be helpful. Thanks.

Buy a new one. If it were just a hobby tool, fine, fuss all week-end. A paying gig, quit messing around. They you could let us know how you like the grizzly spindle sander/disc combo:).

Jim