PDA

View Full Version : air drying logs - what do I do?

Chris Cobb
07-05-2007, 4:38 PM
So, a very LARGE limb fell on my folks property this past weekend (the limb is ~20 inches in diameter). I helped clear it out of the way and grabbed a couple of small sections for futue use. I don't know what I'll do with it - other than possibly use as a turning blank (I don't own a lathe - yet!).

Each oak log section is about 8 inches in diameter and about 1.5 foot long (I'm hoping to get the main "trunk" from them in a week or two). It just seemed that I should hold some of this aside rather than them splitting it into firewood.

I've got the 2 logs in my garage - is there anything else I need to do to them other than give them time to dry? :confused: :confused: I'd hate to have these check on me or something else to render them unusable.

Thanks for the advice
Chris

David DeCristoforo
07-05-2007, 4:50 PM
Wood dried in log form is almost certain to check radially. The best thing would be to cut the logs into turning blanks while still green and then air dry the blanks. Waxing the end grain will help minimize checking. Try to store the blanks in a "cool damp place" with plenty of air circulation to avoid drying them out too quickly. You might even want to consider "roughing them out" while still green.

Jude Kingery
07-05-2007, 5:05 PM
Hello Chris,

David's right on the money; I just use paraffin, like you get at the grocery store in the canning section, very inexpensive, melt over low heat on the stove in a pot (I just have a wax pot and leave the wax in it, so no clean up really, just add wax when needed) and then I paint it on the log ends with a brush. Did a huge Cherry log that way last year that was freshly cut, very wet, and it's notorious for cracking and checking. So I waxed the ends of the log. Just two nights ago my husband halved the log for me and I again waxed - no cracks, no checks. Much drier on the chain saw shavings from the cuts than when I got it last year, and we also rough rounded each half with the chain saw. Time to let dry a bit more and then we'll rough turn. David steered you exactly correctly, I think, good luck, Jude