PDA

View Full Version : Closet Neanderthals?

Bob Glenn
07-05-2007, 3:31 PM
After reading several posts here about getting hooked on turning wood, I got to thinking...:rolleyes:? Could it be you turners are just better heeled than us Neanderthals? Making Windsor chairs has me doing a little of both.

I maybe way off base, but here's my thinking. Generally, with wood working you move the tool in to the wood, or move the wood in to the tool.

To use most hand tools, you move the tool in to the wood. To use most machines, you move the wood in to the machine.

One exception is the lathe. I think the allure of turning on a lathe is the same as I get when I feel thin shavings being sheared from a tool that my hand is guiding, whether that be a draw knife, spokeshave, plane or skew chisel.

Okay, so now fess up you guys.....aren't you really Neanderthals at heart?:p

Just some thoughts on a slow afternoon. :D

Harvey M. Taylor
07-05-2007, 4:04 PM
I appreciate you clearing all that up for me. All these years I have been doing it the other way around on all counts. Maybe there is enjoyment in this woodturning thing after all. I wondered why I was so tired at night. Thanky, Max

TYLER WOOD
07-05-2007, 4:08 PM
Even though I too enjoy the feeling of seeing those thin curlies come off a plane I am using. I still refuse to be a neaderthal!

I hate sanding too much, and I'm not good enough with my hand tools not to have to sand!:o Although sanding on the lathe is not too bad. HMMMM....... thoughts.......

Keith Burns
07-05-2007, 4:12 PM
Aw, man..........................I ain't one of them !! I think Neanderthals are Turners at heart, the just lack electricity in their shops to have MORE POWER to make those shavings:eek: :D ;)

Bob Glenn
07-05-2007, 4:16 PM
Aw, man..........................I ain't one of them !! I think Neanderthals are Turners at heart, the just lack electricity in their shops to have MORE POWER to make those shavings:eek: :D ;)

No...No say it isn't so. I'm SOOOO Neander that I have a spring pole lathe. :p Really, do a search on this site!

Bob Hallowell
07-05-2007, 4:48 PM
Bob,
I first came to sawmillcreek cause of it's great neander forum. Then I saw this vortex and was sucked in. I still like my hand tools. This weekend I pickup a liberty bell #135 stanley plane, an disston saw and a lakeside rasp that looks new at the local flee market. But most my shop time spins right by me!;)

Bob

Dominic Greco
07-05-2007, 8:48 PM
Most of my friends here know me from my lathe work. But I've always been a Neanderthal at heart. Not that I'm ever going to go fully unplugged. I love using my Jet lathe too much!

Recently I've put wood turning on a back burner so I could restore some of my hand tools, expand my collection, and concentrate on my "flatwork". I also think that stepping away from the lathe every once in a while allows it to stay fresh. I think I was getting burned out with all the lathe work I was doing.