PDA

View Full Version : No more big boxes

Matt Meiser
07-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I thought this was interesting given the recent debate here about big box stores. According to this article (http://info.detnews.com/weblog/index.cfm?blogid=10107), the City of Detroit will no longer have any big box stores after A&P closes all of their Farmer Jack stores. According to most news reports, that is reportedly going to happen tomorrow.

Al Willits
07-05-2007, 1:53 PM
At first I thought the city of Detroit wasn't allowing any more borgs, but it appears the ecomomy isn't supporting them, so there closing.
From what I know of Detroit, it doesn't seem much of anything in major retail is doing well, to bad.

Al

Pat Germain
07-05-2007, 2:15 PM
This is why I'm really not "anti-big-box". For all their faults, in many areas, especially rural areas, they provide a service unavailable elsewhere. Unfortunately, it looks like not even big box stores could survive in Detroit and the people still living there will now have little or no options.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-05-2007, 4:29 PM
Puts me to mind of an old saying:
Politics is the art of the possible.

Apparantly it's possible to tell the big boxes to bugger off if none are interested in you.

David G Baker
07-05-2007, 5:08 PM
I thought I heard that Kroger is buying the Farmer Jack stores in the Detroit area ane will be opening them before too long. Kroger may not be big box but they generally have pretty good products.

Matt Meiser
07-05-2007, 5:23 PM
I thought I heard that Kroger is buying the Farmer Jack stores in the Detroit area ane will be opening them before too long. Kroger may not be big box but they generally have pretty good products.

Kroger bought something like 20 stores and a few independents bought a store or two each. Something like half the stores are closing though. The one in Monroe is only about 3-4 years old and will be sitting vacant. There are several vacant ones in Toledo too. Some were rebranded to another A&P brand, which also failed.

Kroger is the last company I'd like to see buy them. They already bought out a bunch of the Food Town stores in SE Michigan and NW Ohio a couple years ago and have too much share of the market. Their prices are consistently high compared to Meijer. They draw people in with really low sale prices, but make it up on the stuff that isn't on sale. As an example, a 12oz bag of Starbucks coffee beans is $1 more at Kroger than Meijer.

Curt Harms
07-05-2007, 5:23 PM
Detroit 7 Mile/Meyers #2781
18700 Meyers Road
Detroit, MI 48235

Two of the things to survive the demise of civilization-Cock Roaches & Home Depot:D

Matt Meiser
07-05-2007, 5:26 PM
Detroit 7 Mile/Meyers #2781
18700 Meyers Road
Detroit, MI 48235

Two of the things to survive the demise of civilization-Cock Roaches & Home Depot:D

No, you must be wrong--that article was published in a newspaper. :rolleyes: :D