PDA

View Full Version : Router HP Recommendations

Dennis Putnam
07-05-2007, 11:02 AM
This weekend I tried playing with my router bits for rails and stiles. It became immediately apparent that my light duty router is not going to cut it (forgive the pun) with these larger bits. What is the minimum horse power router that should be used for bits that remove that much material? This is not going to be a high volume activity but rather occasional so I don't want one of those high end models with a supercharged, small bock Chevy engine. I just need something that won't stall when I feed it fast enough to actually see the piece move. I don't know what I'm going to buy yet (or when) but I'd like to know what HP range I should be looking at. Thanks.

Art Mann
07-05-2007, 11:13 AM
That application is one of the more demanding ones on a router's capabilities. IF you are going to do a lot of this kind of work, buy a 15A router. (I refuse to call it a 3.5 hp router because the way they rate power on universal motors is a lie.) You can use a 10A or 12A router if you go slow and make several passes. You might want to select one of these mid sized routers if you also intend to use it for handheld work, as the big routers are quite heavy and clumsy.

Mark Rios
07-05-2007, 11:34 AM
I like to use a router that has around nine or ten HP for most routing jobs and then, if I need to remove a lot of material in one pass with a big bit, I'll grab the 20 hp monster off of the shelf. You need hearing protecton with these larger routers...................

:D :D :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-05-2007, 12:05 PM
I like to use a router that has around nine or ten HP for most routing jobs and then, if I need to remove a lot of material in one pass with a big bit, I'll grab the 20 hp monster off of the shelf. You need hearing protecton with these larger routers...................

You only have a 20 HP router~? Man, how do you get by~??

Joe Chritz
07-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I now use a shaper to do all 5 piece doors but have done several with a 2 1/4 horse router. That would be the 12 amp variety.

It will do ok for the stiles and rails. A raised panel bit needs something a bit beefier, such as the 3 HP versions.

Remember to make a few passes and performance will improve.

Joe

Luciano Burtini
07-05-2007, 12:37 PM

Sure hope it has Soft Start :rolleyes:

I use a 15 amp and a 12 amp router in my table and both will spin a large panel raising bit with no problem. These are optimistically rated at 3 hp and 2-1/4 hp respectively by their manufacturer's.

Whenever possible, take multiple passes as that will take some of the strain off of the router and will result in a better finish cut.

Good Luck and happy panel raising....

scott spencer
07-05-2007, 1:10 PM
I've done a few RPs with my 13 amp FT1700. It does well if I take lighter passes. My 15 amp MW5625 has an easier time of it though.

The Hitachi 15 amp and the Freud FT2000 are usually the best bargains in 15 amp routers.

glenn bradley
07-05-2007, 2:01 PM
My Milwaukee 5625 acts as if it is unaware that I am using those large bits. The router will take much bigger bites than I am comfortable feeding it. A review on the '2 2/14' HP Triton after 6 months found it adequate for everthing including raised panels but for panels specifically the author wished he'd had more power. I'm just a hobbiest and I use a 1 1/4 and a 2 HP for hand work. The RT gets the big dogs.