PDA

View Full Version : jointech

George Broughton
07-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Has anyone seen, heard of or used the jointech jig. Very similar to the incra set up.

Hal Flynt
07-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I've had the Cabinet Maker system for about 10 years. I like it and would buy it again. I chose it over the Incra primarily due to the metal lead screw. I think Incra may have gone to metal by now. I also liked the way the system works in my small workshop.

I would suggest seeing them both demonstrated at a WW show.

Don Bullock
07-05-2007, 12:47 PM
..I chose it over the Incra primarily due to the metal lead screw. I think Incra may have gone to metal by now. I also liked the way the system works in my small workshop.

I would suggest seeing them both demonstrated at a WW show.

Yes, the Incra does have the metal lead screw. I went with the Incra mostly because of cost and service. The cost of the Incra system is quite a bit less than the Jointech and I've read better reviews on their customer service.

I agree with Hal that you should see both of them being demonstrated. Just a word of warning, the guys that do the demonstrations have been doing them for many years and the're very "slick." They also have their tools set up perfectly for the precut wood that they use for the demonstrations.;)

Jason Beam
07-05-2007, 1:01 PM
They both make very similar systems. There aren't many big differences anymore. They both use a tightly threaded lead screw in their models. Incra's Ultra models still use the racks, bu thte LS ones are using lead screws.

I have had both an Ultra and currently an LS from Incra and can't say enough good about them. My friend has a Jointech and he can't say enough good things about it, either. There can be some pretty heated debates about Incra vs. Jointech from time to time. To me, they're essentially identical.

The only subtle differences I've seen is in the templates. On the Jointech templates I saw, all the lines were black and they had no numbers. The instructions tell you which lines to use for a given pattern and they work really well. On the Incra templates, they are red and blue lines with numbers beside them. I've found that to be a help on more than one occasion. First, the different colors help keep your tails and pins straight when cutting dovetails. Secondly, the numbers are useful if you get a little overzealous and adjust the fence beyond the line. The numbers help me to remember where I was so it's easier to step back. This is particularly important on the 1/8" box joint templates and such.

The Jointech does have a removable plastic fence insert that lets you make zero-clearance fences for your bits if need be. I've needed this once or twice in the past, but not TOO often. I've solved that on my Incra by adding a subfence of 1/4" hardboard that I can sacrifice for such a cause.

Ultimately? They're basically the same things. Neither will lead you astray. Personally, I like my Incra. I probably would have liked a Jointech if I had gone that way, too. At the time, the Incra was less expensive, so I went that route.

Don Bullock
07-05-2007, 2:34 PM
...The only subtle differences I've seen is in the templates. On the Jointech templates I saw, all the lines were black and they had no numbers. The instructions tell you which lines to use for a given pattern and they work really well. On the Incra templates, they are red and blue lines with numbers beside them. I've found that to be a help on more than one occasion. First, the different colors help keep your tails and pins straight when cutting dovetails. Secondly, the numbers are useful if you get a little overzealous and adjust the fence beyond the line. The numbers help me to remember where I was so it's easier to step back....

That's a big difference (at least for me) that I didn't notice.

The Jointech does have a removable plastic fence insert that lets you make zero-clearance fences for your bits if need be. I've needed this once or twice in the past, but not TOO often. I've solved that on my Incra by adding a subfence of 1/4" hardboard that I can sacrifice for such a cause.

That's a great idea. Can you post a picture of your setup?

Jason Beam
07-05-2007, 2:50 PM
That's a great idea. Can you post a picture of your setup?

I don't currently have any pics of the subfence, but it was just a strip of 4"x28" masonite with some countersunk holes that lined up with the t-slot in the fence extrusion. I should mention that I use the wonderfence which is "split" so you can widen the gap. Then I just micro-adjusted the whole thing into the spinning bit to create the zero clearance.

Here are some pics of the new system on the old top:

http://sacramentoareawoodworkers.com/album/thumbnails.php?album=8

I'd had an Ultra 17" and bult the table around that. Then I upgraded to the LS 25" and it dwarfed my original top. I've since built a new top and will gladly put together some pictures as soon as it's "unburried" from the pile of scrap wood that's on it currently.

Kim Spence
07-05-2007, 3:22 PM
For what its worth, my dad bought the Jointech, was a little frustrated by it so he picked up the Incra. Got used to the Jointech before he set up the Incra, so the Incra just sat on the shelf for a couple years unused. Last time I was visiting him I asked what he thought of the Jointech, he really likes it now, enough so that he was willing to part with the still unused Incra, so now its on my shelf waiting to be installed on my router table.

So not really a head to head comparison, but he was happy enough with the Jointech that he never even set up the Incra even though it was at his disposal for quite some time.

Don Bullock
07-05-2007, 4:29 PM
I don't currently have any pics of the subfence, but it was just a strip of 4"x28" masonite with some countersunk holes that lined up with the t-slot in the fence extrusion. I should mention that I use the wonderfence which is "split" so you can widen the gap. Then I just micro-adjusted the whole thing into the spinning bit to create the zero clearance.

Thanks. That's something I was going to try so I'm glad to know that it does work.

Ed Falis
07-07-2007, 12:42 PM
For what its worth, my dad bought the Jointech, was a little frustrated by it so he picked up the Incra. Got used to the Jointech before he set up the Incra, so the Incra just sat on the shelf for a couple years unused. Last time I was visiting him I asked what he thought of the Jointech, he really likes it now, enough so that he was willing to part with the still unused Incra, so now its on my shelf waiting to be installed on my router table.

So not really a head to head comparison, but he was happy enough with the Jointech that he never even set up the Incra even though it was at his disposal for quite some time.

You're a lucky dog, I'd say ;-)

Bert Johansen
07-07-2007, 5:22 PM
I've had the JoinTech for a couple of years and use it regularly, with great results. Just a small correction from one of the earlier posts--the JoinTech templates are now color coded red and black, as well as dotted and solid for the challenging double dovetails and finger joints.

I visited their place in San Antonio before purchasing the unit, and also waited for a sale to get the best price. They have been very helpful on the phone any time I had questions. The instruction book is clear and complete and the DVD is also very well done. After you have used it a couple of times you will get faster at set-up. I also recommend you get the featherboard addition. Very useful and quick to set up.