PDA

View Full Version : Oak Bed progress

Mark Singer
07-05-2007, 9:38 AM
This oak bed has been a fun project. The head board is made from resawn solid oak and curved to a form in a vacuum bag. The joinery is a little difficult because every surface shows and with compound curves in to directions it takes a little thought. At any moment I felt like I could ruin all the effort by screwing something up.... The knock down joints are located at the transition of the curve to the rail...another not so easy task. The finish is liming wax rubbed and scraped and natural wax finish. In the pics the headboard is still unfinished I am really happy with the proportions of the design and I would not change much if I made another of this design. It is not as hard as some projects I have done recently like the teak sofa for Ed....it could be frustrating for someone that has not worked with exposed hand cut joinery. The lap joints are cut by hand and pared and rasped to fit...there may be some good machine alternatives.....the compound curves do not really lend themselves to a router or bandsaw before assembly as one might think

Mark Singer
07-05-2007, 9:40 AM
more phographs and memories:confused:

Mark Singer
07-05-2007, 9:42 AM
pictures...to add to a collection :confused:

Rick de Roque
07-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Mark,
Love the bed. The center support looks different, do you have a pic of that? Whats the bed size? Great design as always.

Rick

Mark Singer
07-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Mark,
Love the bed. The center support looks different, do you have a pic of that? Whats the bed size? Great design as always.

Rick
Rick I added apic...the beam is a "T" section with a center leg...it works well!

Charles Jackson III
07-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Very nice bed.

Mike Cutler
07-05-2007, 1:11 PM
Very nice Mark. While the joinery may be "simpler" than some of your other projects, it is as usual, very well done.
It's a classy looking bed. Nice work, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Dan Larson
07-05-2007, 3:46 PM
Beautiful craftsmanship & design... of the beds that you've posted, I like this one the best. The combination of curves & slatted headboard really do it for me.

The finish is liming wax rubbed and scraped and natural wax finish.
Could you tell us more about the finish... what is liming wax?

Dan

Jason Tuinstra
07-05-2007, 4:39 PM
Mark, what can I say? Outstanding as always. You have a great eye for what works. Thanks for sharing.

Chris Padilla
07-05-2007, 4:47 PM
Good stuff, SoCal!! :)

Mark Singer
07-05-2007, 8:18 PM
Beautiful craftsmanship & design... of the beds that you've posted, I like this one the best. The combination of curves & slatted headboard really do it for me.

Could you tell us more about the finish... what is liming wax?

Dan

Dan,
Liming wax is a product from Briwax. It is a white pigmented wax and is retained in the pores of te wood emphasising the gran pattern. It can be scraped or dilluted with oil or mineral spirts to control the effect. The final coat should be clear wax. The use of a card scraper is very useful to control the effect of te liming... Using the scraper on curved surfaces requires a bit of technique, but it is easy. This is an old technique...it can be done with paint and then sanded