PDA

View Full Version : best way to economiclly miter?

Jeffrey Larsen
07-04-2007, 11:51 PM
I am incredibly new to all this. Although I have some "modern power tools," by choice, I am drawn to hand tools. I am currently working to get basic tools and learn basic techniques.

First, For building nice fitting furniture, is it reasonable to expect miters to be accurate with one cut, of, and here is the question, Is it likely that a shooting board would be used most of the time to get a really nice fitting joint?

the second question question has to do with shooting boards--most I have seen are used with a plane that has a blade on the side; I don't have one of those; Does anyone have suggestions on how to build on that could be used with a more traditional plane?

3rd, What miter box set-ups are best for getting accurate miters with hand tools? At this point, I have 3 options and would like to know what others think on this issue:

I have various angle guides that I can draw any angle on a board with and then regular handsaws to cut the angle--have various diston and sandvik saws--both rip and crosscut as well as a new stanley saw.

secondly, I have an old cast iron stanley miter box--the old on that is cast iron and weighs about 40 pounds-- have that and the diston/made for stanley back saw that goes with it.

third, I have a new stanley miter box--the 50$ kind from lowes.

Finally, I have a device--the "topman 265' JAPONESE saw and miter set up. This is a nifty setup that I picked up dirt cheap off ebay; I am very impressed with it--it has a protractor that allows measuring 45-45, and also allows compound cuts. it isn't very traditional looking, but when I pay attention to details, the pieces have com out of this one so accurate that it is unreal.

Any advice on how a new comer to amatur wood working (clock cases, barristers book cases, a babys crib, various furniture pieces, etc are my goals.) will get the best miter cuts possible with reasonably priced equipment?

Thanks, Jeff

mike holden
07-05-2007, 8:50 AM
Jeff,
When you get really good with your saw, then you may get a good fit, but probably not. You would still want to plane the surface flat - saw kerfs are not flat.
So, you really need some sort of shooting appliance to finish the workpiece.
Which appliance depends of the size and shape of the workpiece, from a mitered benchtop board, to a donkey's ear, to a miter jack. Of course all of these come in various styles (grin).
Pick up a book by hayward, wearing, or blackburn at the local library and you will learn a lot of different ways to do this.
Also, chasing the "ultimate" way of doing anything is counterproductive.
Pick a method that appeals and have at it. Before long, YOU will be the expert.
Enjoy!
Mike

Mike Henderson
07-05-2007, 11:07 AM
the second question question has to do with shooting boards--most I have seen are used with a plane that has a blade on the side; I don't have one of those; Does anyone have suggestions on how to build on that could be used with a more traditional plane?
Thanks, Jeff
The plane used with a shooting board is normally just a standard plane turned on its side. Most people use a reasonably large plane just because it has a lot of mass - maybe something like a Stanley #5 or #7 - but you can use almost any plane - try different ones and see which one works best for you.

If you search in this forum for "shooting board" I'm sure you'll find some postings about them. Most woodworkers love to show off their shooting board design.

Mike

Pam Niedermayer
07-05-2007, 4:33 PM
You can use any old non-rebate plane for shooting as long as the sides are 90° to the sole.

Pam

Jeffrey Larsen
07-05-2007, 9:14 PM
Do you mean like a stanley 190? I have a couple of those. Will check out the shooting boards with the search function... Guess the angles will only be as good as the SB; So, clearly not something to cut corners with--no pun intended.

Has anyone used the japonese saw set up I mentioned--"topman z 265" Looks hokey, but with care, I have gotten some really good consistent results. Jeff