PDA

View Full Version : HVLP Spray Finish for My Plantation Shutters

Fred Floyd
07-04-2007, 10:05 PM
At long last, I have overcome most of the challenges of making my very own plantation shutters. Since they are going into a room with painted trim, they are made of poplar. I followed Norm's plan for the plantation shutters.

I am beginning to finish the louvers and frame inside areas that will be difficult to reach after assembly. I have an HVLP (4-stage) sprayer and set out this AM to test the sprayer with Latex Primer as that will be the first step. When I checked the viscosity, the suggested emptying time with a 2.0 or 2.5mm is 35-40 seconds. This stuff took 2minutes and 45 seconds. So, I thinned 25% with Flotrol. Still got a gloppy finish with the finish coming out in small globs. It did smooth out, but was still rough to the touch after it dried.

Has anyone else ever tried a heavy finish like this? I'm planning to use a gloss latex enamel as the finish coat -- probably two coats.

It appears -- at least with the primer that it will have to be much thinner to make spray as a mist rather than spitting little globs.

I'm open to suggestions here.

Steve Schoene
07-04-2007, 10:46 PM
If you must use water borne paints, seek out those labeled 100% acyrlic, not latex.

Better yet, finishes designed for spraying make a lot of sense, although you probably will have to obtain these on line. Examples are Target USL tinted, or similar products from Fuhr. www.homesteadfinishing.com is a good source. This is run by Jeff Jewitt, who may just be the one answering the phone. The site also has lots of good info, and also a forum.

Bob Barkto
07-05-2007, 12:52 AM
Just a thought.

Floetrol isn't really a thinner or viscosity reducer. It is a surface tension reducer and retarder, it helps the paint flow out smooth.

Try using water as a thinner to get the viscosity down.
Add a little Floetrol to help leveling/flowout and to keep your nozzle free from buildup.

Check the paint manufacturers recommendations for maximum amount of water you can add.

Hope this helps.