PDA

View Full Version : Australian Woods

Ted Shrader
01-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Making a trip to Perth the end of January. Looking for recommendations on wood to bring back that would be suitable for use as accents, drawer pulls, etc. Obviously it must be able to fit in a suitcase.

Secondly - Recommendations of places to visit in Perth would be appreciated. Looking for timber related places - vice bars (unless truly exceptional). ;)

Thanks,
Ted

Chris Padilla
01-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Isn't Jarrah from Australia?

Lacewood is another Australian import but I haven't seen a lot of people use it. I have a several board feet of it just waiting to be something...I truly shines with a hand-rubbed oil.

Google "austrailian hardwood" and see what hits you get.

Jamie Buxton
01-15-2004, 2:33 PM
Try posting this query on Knots, the Taunton Press board. There's a several Australian woodworkers who post on it pretty regularly. http://forums.taunton.com/tp-knots/

Mac McAtee
01-16-2004, 9:54 AM
Ted,
You need to check into something else. There are new rules being put in place by US Customs and USDA. Non-manufactured wood being brought into the US is starting to become a big issue. That is wood other than plywood or fiber boards.

Solid wood is what you are thinking about bringing in. You may find yourself in a position on reentering the US where you will have to pay to send the wood back where it came from or pay to have it disposed of. Very shortly any solid wood being brought into the US will have to have a certificate that it has been heat treated or some other acceptable treatment or it won't be able to be brought through Customs.

Do a little homework before you go. Call your local Customs office and ask them if there are going to be any special requirements if you bring solid wood in in your luggage.

Mac