PDA

View Full Version : Decking.... Help Needed

James Reichman
07-04-2007, 7:50 PM
I finished most of the framing on my deck. The wife picked the color of trex she would like. I found a nice deal on it. It will cost $1.59 a linear ft. This is the smooth trex no grain pattern. But it has 2 small dadoes? Cut in the back side. My framing is 14 on center. I have heard that there can be some flex in the decking when you walk on it? I have never felt it just heard about it? Anybody out there have this problem or with the 14 on center framing cure that. I was told by some GC's that they frame 16 on center with no flex. I will be using all 16 footers some seams but not to many.Thanks for your help. And happy 4th:)

Mark Rios
07-04-2007, 8:15 PM
The allowable span is determined by the thickness of the material. According to the Trex website, The max allowable span for 5/4" material is 16"oc to achieve 100 psf and 12"oc to achieve 200 psf.

When using 2x4 and 2x6, the max span is 20"oc and 24"oc respectively for 100 psf and 16"oc (for both widths) to achieve 200psf.

These are spans for decking. Maximum spans for stairs are different.

When I've used it, I've had very good and satisfactory results using 16"oc when running the decking perpendicular to the framing. When running the decking at a 45 degree angle the framing needs to to be narrower.

hth

Tim Malyszko
07-04-2007, 8:22 PM
My next door neighbor used Trex on his pool deck - 16" OC, run perpendicular to the joits - and its very sturdy. If you go 12" or 14", the deck starts to look busy with all the screw holes... at least in my opinion.

I built a deck last year and ran the boards at a 45 to the joists and it's very stable. All permits were pulled and the building inspector were satisfied with the results. I was, however, using Cedar, not Trex.

Jeff Heil
07-04-2007, 9:59 PM
I think you will be fine with 14 OC and the trex, it is one of the better composites to work with. Consider an undermount fastner system or some EB-ty's to avoid the surface being full of screw holes as someone else suggested. If you do screw through the face of the boards make a marking jig for the screw placement to ensure uniformity. (IMHO it looks better than a random placed pattern, but I am overly anal.)

my 2 cents.