PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman "Professional" Drum Sander Belts

Peter Meacham
07-04-2007, 7:39 PM
Anyone else have a 18x36 Craftsman "Professional" drum sander, model 351.215180 that can advise how they make or buy replacement sanding belts please (Other than the silly prices that Sears wants for replacement belts).

This model uses a 3.5" wide belt - an odd size to what is readily available on the market either in bulk material or pre-cut belts.

So, looking for someone that has maybe determined what angle cuts and lengths to make replacement belts from more commonly available bulk belt material such as 2" or 3" wide.

Also, this model has a 5" drum that is 18" long and the belts are held in place by two outboard clips inside the drum that hold the taper cut ends of the belts. I would like to convert to hook and loop belts if I could find the adhesive backed material to put on the drum.

All comments or suggestions welcome. Thanks, Pete

Bruce Page
07-05-2007, 12:47 AM
I wonder if the Delta 18/36 pre-cut paper would work. Woodwookers Supply sells it also.

Mike Cutler
07-05-2007, 5:22 AM
Buy standard 3" wide abrasive material. Cut the initial length with the same angle as the 3.5" OEM belt. Install it on the drum and mark the opposite end of the belt with a sharpie marker so you know where to cut so that it wraps correctly.
You may have to do this a time or two to get it perfect. Then make a template and you can whip out belts in minutes.

I'm willing to bet that a Delta belt will work just fine. You can buy one and use it for the template if it works.

My Steel City drumsander has 5 1/8" rolls, so I understand where you're coming from.

Rick Lizek
07-05-2007, 7:46 AM
Simple solution. www.industrialabrasives.com (http://www.industrialabrasives.com) You can go with other widths just as easily.
Best prices on quality abrasives and lowest minimum on custom belts. I've used Klingspor and others...industrial abrasives really delivers in quality and service. I buy a lot as a purchasing agent and our guys are picky on products.
www'mcmaster.com sell hook pads for your application. Personally I don't care for the hook and loop on a drum sander. It tends to roll edges easier. After using widebelts and strokes sanders I don't care for drum sanders too much.