PDA

View Full Version : walnut hollow form

mike fuson
07-04-2007, 5:43 PM
I decided to put a foot and rim on this piece, just to make it a little different. Can't say that I like it, not as good as others anyway. Measures roughly 6x6, buffed antique oil finish.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/walnuthf.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/walnuthftop.jpg

Jim Becker
07-04-2007, 6:07 PM
I like it for the most part, Mike, especially the fact that you got that sap on the upper side of the vessel. (An acquaintance of mine did a whole series like this that he called the "ice cream sundae" series)

I can understand your feeling about the foot, but happen to like the rim on top given that you flattened the contour on the top...the rim gives a little lift and "finish" to it. Play with Photoshop/whatever application you use to see what it would look like sans the foot...it's a very nice non-destructive method for playing with forms!

Terry Quiram
07-04-2007, 6:30 PM
Mike

I don't think you need to do anything. I like it a lot. As a matter of fact it would fit very nicely on a shelf in my living room.:D

Terry

Nancy Laird
07-04-2007, 7:08 PM
Mike

I don't think you need to do anything. I like it a lot. As a matter of fact it would fit very nicely on a shelf in my living room.:D

Terry

I ditto that sentiment, Mike. In fact, I have just the place in my living room for it!!!:D :D ;) :rolleyes: Don't change a thing.

Nancy

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2007, 7:39 PM
I agree Mike. Bowl is a beauty and the sap wood on the top just makes it better. I like the foot and lip. Makes for a nice change.

Steve Schlumpf
07-04-2007, 9:08 PM
Very nice Hollow Form Mike!

I agree with Jim is as much as the top rim gives the form a little lift and finish to the overall look. I also like the sapwood located on the top of the form - just seems more balanced to me to have the light color on top. As far as the foot - not sure if I like the use of a foot on a HF or not but in your case I like the fact that the foot is smaller than the opening at the top. Once again it just seems a little more balanced to me.

Nice HF and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Tom Sherman
07-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Mike I like it too, love the sap wood on top. The lip on top is spot on and the foot is cool too.

TYLER WOOD
07-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Dito Jim's commets. Nice work. I love the colors!