PDA

View Full Version : advice for new old richards wilcox vise...

Jeffrey Larsen
07-04-2007, 5:33 PM
Hi --

I just purchased a very rusty old richards wilcox vise; rusty, but in solid and usable condition.

Any recommendations on how to refurbish it so it is clean to handle and stablized in terms of rust? What color should this be painted. Should I use naval jelly, or a wire brush or sandblast (don't have equimpent to do that).

Was planning on paintint it green, but had heard that black would be the way to go. also, the little quick release lever on the front works, but I think part of it is broken off--the lever to push the release up and down.

does anyone have a picture of this so I can make something that will function well and look descent?

Is this a good starter vice for an amature woodworker or should I spend my time on something else.

Thanks, Jeff

Alan Turner
07-05-2007, 7:11 AM
Can you post a photo? The Richards Wilcox vises I am familiar with have a gravity drop half nut, similar to the new LN shoulder vises. These work automatically when the lead screw is opened one half turn.

The quick release trigger I think of as a Record type of vise, and did not know that Richards Wilcox made these also.