PDA

View Full Version : My version of the Adirondack chair

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-04-2007, 3:51 PM
The missus asked for some outdoor chairs.
So I made these. They are sort of big and curvy.
Unlike a lot of Adirondacks they have a two position back.

This is the collection I had got coating on two

Gary Keedwell
07-04-2007, 4:14 PM
They look great. And comfortable, too. I still got my Normie chairs from 1993. Still holding their own.:)
Gary K.

Dave Morris
07-04-2007, 4:22 PM
Nice collection you got there Cliff. Hmmm... seating for nine, a pool, and it's the Fourth of July--- Party at Cliff's house! ;)

Did you add the cross braces for the back, or where they part of some original plan? Just wondering if the tilting back needed more support since it's not tied directly to the leg/armrest structure.

Von Bickley
07-04-2007, 4:49 PM
Chairs look great.... Looks like you got started and couldn't quit...:D :D :D

Jim Becker
07-04-2007, 6:24 PM
Those are GREAT, Cliff!!!!! Outstanding!!

And the "chair inspectors" are pretty darn nice, too... ;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-04-2007, 7:26 PM
Did you add the cross braces for the back, or where they part of some original plan? Just wondering if the tilting back needed more support since it's not tied directly to the leg/armrest structure.

Yah it did need more support. There was no plan., I looked at Adirondacks all winter long and was doing cad drawings and one day I said "SCREW IT~!!" Tossed the unfinished plans and just started a concept chair. I liked it so well the only modification I did was the X braces.

Tom Cowie
07-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Great looking chair Cliff,,

In fact I'll say it beats out most of the ones that the woodworking mags put in their articles..

Tom

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys. I post pics so rarely It's a wonder people even believe I have a saw.

The rope in the back ground of the yard pic was my dismal failed attempt at trying to hang 'em all at once and spraying them while I rotated 'em. . . . . I couldn't get 'em up for love or money. So I lined 'em up on an old roll of mineral felt and a couple of slabs of cardboard and did it that way.

I wonder if I can sell the custom painted white mineral felt on Flea-Bayyyyy.

Jeffrey Makiel
07-05-2007, 4:07 PM
Cliff...those chairs look really, really comfortable. You certainly built a lot of them too.

I designed and built 4 chairs many years ago. I used CAD to figure out the parts. However, CAD does not tell you whether they are comfortable. So, I built the first chair, and realized it needed to be a bit lower. I built the second chair lower, but realized the back should be tilted slightly more. I built the third chair with a more tilted back, and realized it could be a tad more lower. Then I built the fourth and final chair and it seemed about right. :p

It was a good thing that I needed four chairs instead of three!

It's not 'live and learn'. It's 'build and learn'. And it seems you figured it out!

Again, nice job...Jeff :)

Karl Stewart
07-05-2007, 5:21 PM
Very Nice. I put 72 screws [and plugs] in mine, but I think you're over 100! I'd love a side/ back view. How much tilt do you include? I especially like the wide back. Many years of enjoyment.

Gary Keedwell
07-05-2007, 5:28 PM
Cliff...those chairs look really, really comfortable. You certainly built a lot of them too.

I designed and built 4 chairs many years ago. I used CAD to figure out the parts. However, CAD does not tell you whether they are comfortable. So, I built the first chair, and realized it needed to be a bit lower. I built the second chair lower, but realized the back should be tilted slightly more. I built the third chair with a more tilted back, and realized it could be a tad more lower. Then I built the fourth and final chair and it seemed about right. :p

It was a good thing that I needed four chairs instead of three!

It's not 'live and learn'. It's 'build and learn'. And it seems you figured it out!

Again, nice job...Jeff :)
I bet I know what chair YOU sit in.........LOL:D
Gary K.

Charles Jackson III
07-05-2007, 7:33 PM
Very nice chairs.

Dwain Lambrigger
07-05-2007, 8:08 PM
Beautiful work! I hope you have enough family to fill them all! What type of wood did you use?

Just fantastic work. Thanks for posting.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys.

The chair inspectors are grand daughters and I need more chairs yet still for ALL the family.

The missus wants more anyway for other locations. She wants a couple in the front as well as some in the back yard and some for the deck.

Just call me Mr. production.

Jim Becker
07-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Well...while you're in production mode, feel free to drop of a few samples here... LOL :D :D :D