PDA

View Full Version : CNC Router

Leo Voisine
07-04-2007, 3:06 PM
Hi,

I am a new to this forum and would like to be involved - particularly in the CNC Router dialogs.

Seems that this thread is focused on Laser Engraving.

I have questions and CNC router - engraving - sign making - CNC code generation and such.

Is this the place, or is there a different place I shoud be?

Leo

Neal Schlee
07-04-2007, 3:25 PM
Leo,

Ask away, many of use use both cnc & laser.

Neal

Michael Kowalczyk
07-04-2007, 4:21 PM
I second that Neal!
Tell us what you have 1st for a CNC and all the software you use so that it makes it easier to help.
Thanks,

Kenneth Hertzog
07-04-2007, 4:33 PM
Hi Leo
You're at the right place. I think if it can't be had here you don't need it
ken

Leo Voisine
07-04-2007, 7:01 PM
OK -

I have been very fortunate to buy a used - but in brand new condition Larken 2424 Camtrol Router.

It uses a StarCam and StarCNC controller.

I am new to a CNC router, but NOT new to CNC machinery.

I can do some engraving using Corel Draw and a 1/32 ball end mill.

I want to make some signs - with graphics and raised letters. That means I need to cut away all the surrounding wood and leave just the letters and graphics.

The Larken will run on G-Code. Starcam can import HPGL, DXF, G-code and a couple of others.

I have been working with CNC machinery (metal cutting) for 20 years, so I am quite familiar with G-Code. I am also familiar with CAM.

I can write g-code, but the amout of code will be huge. Really too much to do manually.

First big question: I am trying to find out what most BEGINNERS on a very LOW budget use for g-code generating. MONEY, is my biggest issue.

The machine uses simple g-gode programming G00, G01, G02, G03. No tool change, no 4-th axis, no G40, G41, G42

Simple 2 axis code generation is OK for me to start, but I will get into 3 axis soon after.

I do have AutoCAD.

I hope to find something basic to start with.

Once I get going with this machine I would like to add Laser Engraving. I have looked at the Epilog several times. Noticed all the comments about the Epilog. Not ready to have a dialog on that yet though.

Leo

Nigel Morgan
07-04-2007, 8:19 PM
Hello,

http://www.carve3d.com/

I think this is a reasonable program and James Booth is very helpful, you can download a demo, try www.cnczone.com (http://www.cnczone.com) there are many posts on creating code. Remember you get what you pay for, even Artcam which is not cheap has some set backs, a lot of people I know locally are at the moment using visualmill which has become part of Rhino I think (RhinoCAM). Please feel free to PM me regarding you possible Epilog purchase, I'll give you some free advice.

Cheers

Nigel

Nigel Morgan
07-04-2007, 8:23 PM
http://www.vectric.com/

This is the link you need

Leo Voisine
07-08-2007, 9:30 AM
As I am just starting out - money is more that very limited.

I am sure I will move up to the more productive software packages in time. Heck, maybe I cannot even get ther without it, but I am trying.

I have downloaded a trial version of SheetCAM and it looks workable.

I am trying to do some of the graphice with V8 of Corel Draw then creating code in SheetCAM. Does this seem like a good path to go - or am I barking up the wrong tree.

The Carve3d and the Vectric looks really good - but there are several packages there and I am not sure what I should get, when I am ready.

Nigel Morgan
07-08-2007, 7:36 PM
have a read at the above link to cnczone

Rob Wright
07-09-2007, 11:51 AM
I can't say enough about V-Carve Pro. The other forum members recommended it to me and even though the money was a lot for a hobbiest ($500) it is well worth the money in ease of use and overall functionality. I have had it for two weeks and absolutely love it!

Try the free download and see what I mean.

- Rob

Leo Voisine
07-10-2007, 8:52 PM
I downloaded it.

WOW - that looks too good to be true.

I am going to try it out for a few dayz

Leo

I can't say enough about V-Carve Pro. The other forum members recommended it to me and even though the money was a lot for a hobbiest ($500) it is well worth the money in ease of use and overall functionality. I have had it for two weeks and absolutely love it!

Try the free download and see what I mean.

- Rob